Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

29th Division MGC

GlenBanna

Does anyone have any record of the positions of the 29thDivision MGC on the 15th and 16th August 1917 at Langemark? Specifically would they have been involved and would they have moved up to the starting position at the Steenbeek with the 87th and 88th brigades?

Thanks Glen

Glen

I've got the 86th and 88th Coy MGC (also 29th Div) war diaries for August 1917. PM me with an email address if they're what you're after.

Kind Regards

Colin

Glen

I've got the 86th and 88th Coy MGC (also 29th Div) war diaries for August 1917. PM me with an email address if they're what you're after.

Kind Regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

By any chance would you have the diary of the 86th Bde MGC for the opening day of the Somme? My grandfather was a machine-gunner that day and 'caught a packet', though survived!

Regards,

David

Colin

Thanks for the offer.I have PM'd

Glen

Kind Regards

Colin

Glen

Email sent

David

Please PM me with an email address and I'll send them over when I get the chance.

Kind Regards

Colin

David

Please PM me with an email address and I'll send them over when I get the chance.

Kind Regards

Colin

Cheers, Colin - PM sent.

D.

David

I forgot to mention in my email but there's a book written by a private soldier who went 'over the top' with 88th Coy MGC on the 1st July 1916 in the area of Newfoundland Park. I know it's not the same unit but they'd have been in the same area as your grandfather. I got hold of a copy through my local library for a couple of weeks a few years ago.

It's title is 'I survived didn't I' and it's written by 'Ginger' Byrne' and edited by Joy Cave.

Just a suggestion which may be of interest.

Glen

Sadly 'Ginger' largely glosses over his time at Ypres so I doubt it would be of any use to you though does mention the previous fighting at Monchy-le-Preux.

Kind Regards

Colin

David

I forgot to mention in my email but there's a book written by a private soldier who went 'over the top' with 88th Coy MGC on the 1st July 1916 in the area of Newfoundland Park. I know it's not the same unit but they'd have been in the same area as your grandfather. I got hold of a copy through my local library for a couple of weeks a few years ago.

It's title is 'I survived didn't I' and it's written by 'Ginger' Byrne' and edited by Joy Cave.

Kind Regards

Colin

Great stuff, Colin,

I'll track it down, certainly of interest!

Cheers,

Dave

David

Glen

Sadly 'Ginger' largely glosses over his time at Ypres so I doubt it would be of any use to you though does mention the previous fighting at Monchy-le-Preux.

Kind Regards

Colin

Thanks Colin I will look out for a copy

Glen