Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Name tag?

annieoburns

I have found a simple name tag rather than a badge. It has my relatives initial, surname, id number, then "CE" and lastly A.O.C. for Army Ordnance Corps.

It is oval in shape and curved about 2 inches by 1 inch and hole in each side. It is bronze in colour

Can someone tell me more of what this might be?

AOB

Thanks for that Diane, yes that would 'fit'. I did not realise such items existed. One thinks of tags as worn around neck by USA soldiers in WW2. It makes sense for soldiers to carry some semi permanant ID.

I value it more now if it is such a personal item.

Anne

Yes thank you again Diane!

I have done bit of research since last post and this definitely a wrist ID tag with the chain missing. So pleased to have spotted it in a box of buttons etc so consider it rescued as may have been soon disposed of.

This chap died of injuries in hospital so imagine he was wearing it to the end. So poignant to have it = more personal than medals that were posted after his death.

Anne

So pleased for you - a very personal memento. BTW I would imagine CE is possibly Church of England?

thank you again Diane! I was just going to ask about the CE and that would fit as well.

I have polished it up and it looks lovely now so prob brass. I know not recommended to polish such things but once in 94 years surely is allowable and back to the condition that he would have known.

So pleased to have spotted it and to have you all here to consult with! smile.gif