Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Badge Expert Needed

tommy mcclimonds

Folks

I was given a postcard recently by a colleague I work with which shows I assume a "gunner" of the Royal Artillery. A badge or medallion which seems to be dangling from his left breast pocket, on what looks like a watch chain fob, caught my eye. I have never seen anything like this before, but then again I'm far from a RA expert or indded a badge collector so I have posted a picture for the RA and badge experts to have a good look at. All opinions will be welcomed and appreciated as I haven't a clue.

Regards, Tommy.

post-29775-0-84298900-1304700440.jpg

Various RA units gave engraved, silver medals to men who excelled in sports or various artillery related contests and I would guess that he is wearing a medal of that sort. Dick Flory

As his Uniform looks "New" it could be a Presentation Fob from his Town/Village/Employers for Volunteering etc;or possibly {& probably more likely} an unassociated civil Fob medallion for a "Sports/Social Club etc;worn on his watch chain :blush:

Chaps

Thanks for the interesting comments so far. I think we have established it's nothing of an offical military nature specific to the RA. Unfortunately even under a lenses the shieldlike image is unclear as to exactly what is shows. I think the idea of a silver medal/medallion/shield sounds likely as I have a couple in my collection presented to riflemen in the 36th for shooting competitions, but they are a very different shape to this one. I have reason to believe the photo is perhaps local to Belfast. I am unaware of any major local or even individual (Co Down) presentations of fobs/medals/medallions given to soldiers upon enlistment, however I do know of certain unofficial "medals/medallions" given at the end of the war to those who survived. Whatever is was he was obviously proud of it, given the nature of it's prominent presentation. As I said not something I have seen before. Thanks for your comments so far.

Regards, Tommy.