Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual Medals

barrieduncan

I came across this interesting medal group while looking through some post-war photographs. The first three are quite easy; 1914 Star with clasp, British War Medal, and Victory Medal with m.i.d. emblem. The other two aren't quite so easy - anyone care to have a crack at them? When I first saw the photo I was at a complete loss and was going to post it here and ask for help. I've since figured out what they are (at least I think I have), but thought I'd still post them and see if anyone recognises them...I certainly didn't!

post-9547-0-66681500-1304695612.jpg

Could that be a Medaille Militaire?

John

The last medal is King Faisal's War Medal (Iraq Active Service Medal 1924 - 38). The other medal is certainly French, but not a Medaille Militaire. It has the appearance of one of the French Campaign/Colonial Medals but I am far from an expert on French medals.

Hope this helps

Sepoy

The last medal is King Faisal's War Medal (Iraq Active Service Medal 1924 - 38)....

About half way down the page, centre, with the green striped ribbon:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:yHVK8x2wGtsJ:www.royalark.net/Iraq/iraq5.htm+king+faisals+war+medal&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk

The other medal is certainly French, but not a Medaille Militaire. It has the appearance of one of the French Campaign/Colonial Medals but I am far from an expert on French medals.

It certainly looks like the French Colonial Medal, especially given the presence of a clasp. Ex-French Foreign Legion? Certainly enough rough-and-tumble in French North Africa through the 1920s.

There are quite a few French medals like this ; silver with the head of Marianne. The Colonial medal has a pale blue with central white band/narrow white bands near edges and had 16 bars in this shape. The only two bars produced before 1945 were Maroc 1925. I reckon this is what your man is wearing. Ties in too with Faisal medal. A Legionaiire.

Chris

Substitute silver for circular in my previous post. I have had another look at one of my books which has thrown up another option. The ribbon for the Maroc medal, 1909-1912 is similar to the Colonial but green rather than blue. It has quite an ornate suspension; a crescent embedded in a laurel wreath. The medal is silvered bronze whereas the Colonial is silver. The 1922 Syria medal is very similar to the Maroc and the bars are the same style. I cannot quite make out the suspension from the photo but if it is the ornate style I would go for the Syrie medal rather than the Maroc. (two bars for Levant 1925 - 26) The Syrie medal was still in use WWII; Vichy and London versions. Chris

Well - what can I say? You guys are good, very good. The two medals are indeed the French Colonial Medal with Maroc bar and the Iraq Active Service Medal. Well done all - I'm very impressed! I only managed to figure them out after reading a bit about his service (plus the Iraq medal was very helpfully noted on his medal card!). This man has a brilliant story. I'm going to do a proper write-up for our website but he did indeed serve with the Foreign Legion from 1911-1913. He returned to the British Army and served on the Western Front for much of the War. In the later stages he served in the Middle East and was heavily involved in British Intelligence. He was also at one point ADC to Allenby. After the war he returned to his old Regiment and went with them out to India. He got bored once again and opted to serve with the Iraq Levies. He was a real character - I wish I could print half the stuff I've read about him, but much of the information came from a file clearly marked 'Never to be published!'

I'll post more when I've had a proper chance to look into him. Thanks all for posting!

Barrie

[Edit - after properly reading over all your posts - I think the medal must be the Moroccan medal and not the Colonial medal. He served with the Legion prior to the Great War, not after it. His obituary called it the French Colonial Medal but I guess it must be the Moroccan Medal. He wasn't in the Legion until 1911 - the medal seems to be dated to 1909 - I wonder how he qualified. Thanks again for the help.]