Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh Regt Collar badge?

mtaylor

Can anyone suggest what is the significance of the 'C' visible on the colars of this group of Welsh Regt? Thanks

post-173-0-04971300-1304677318.jpg

C under an officer's collar badge means Cadet, so very possibly the same thing here.

Thanks for the sugestion. I presume you mean cadet force rather than officer cadets? - some of these recruits in the whole pic look very young and have privates or NCO stripes. (sorry having problems posting)

Can anyone suggest what is the significance of the 'C' visible on the colars of this group of Welsh Regt? Thanks

I imagine they are all officer cadets/candidates, with some having received their commissions already. Many would be NCOs already having had their potential as officers identified during service with their regiments, others would have applied for commissioning and if felt suitable permitted to put their names forward.

It is notable that the ORs appear to be wearing an unusual waist belt with a thick square buckle that might be made of cloth. It is not from the 1903 bandolier equipment and I have not seen one like it before.

Thanks for that too. This is an attempt at posting the whole pic. Strange mix for officer candidates?

post-173-0-56966400-1304716574.jpg

Thanks for that too. This is an attempt at posting the whole pic. Strange mix for officer candidates?

Some do seem quite young to be officer candidates but the SD uniform tends to make everyone look the same. Other than cadets in colleges and universities I cannot see what other purpose the Cadet nomenclature would have. At that time it was a term largely associated with officer training. Perhaps they are members of an university OTC affiliated to the Welsh Regt. 

2" version of 08 belt used by schools and some TF units perhaps?

It certainly seems to be cloth as you can see the chape end folded over where it has passed through the buckle and retaining loop beyond. It seems more like fabric than web and all the 2" 08 belts I have seen have a small version of the standard and comparatively slender open sided buckle, rather than the thick rectangular buckle seen here.

• 3 weeks later...

Belated thanks for the interesting info.

Mike