Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Don't forget....check ALL the pockets!

dutchbarge

Over the years I've found some interesting things left in the pockets of several of the uniforms I have bought. There was a pocket watch in a Gordon Highlanders doublet, motten-schaden tablets in a Bavarian 76th Infantry Regiment rock, various theater and train tickets and the odd button or collar badges in others. But what I found today ranks at the top of my list. Tucked inside the wound dressing pocket of a 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles OR's service dress jacket I recently purchased were a set of red and horizon blue 1.CMR felt shoulder patches, faded on one side, fairly fresh on the other, thread remnants and holes along the edges and positively reeking with 'the real deal' feel. Upon examination of the upper sleeves of the jacket I found a bit of 'pucker', thread remnants and 'ghosting' of a circle surmounting a rectangle that I hadn't noticed before. The patches, when aligned with these 'ghosts', were a perfect match. The remnants of thread on the patches also matched the thread remnants on the sleeves. How they ended up in the wound dressing pocket (which was stitched closed) may be the result of several likely scenarios, but why no one before me thought to look inside the pocket is a real mystery. I must admit I'm glad they didn't. I wonder should leave them in the pocket or put them back on the jacket. What do the members think? Cheers, Bill

Put them back on the jacket and bring it alive again.

Definitely put them back, but it's important for this to be done really well, using period thread and the original holes as far as possible. Or do as I would and get someone with greater skill to do it, depending on your confidence in your own ability. You wouldn't think twice about replacing missing buttons, shoulder titles, etc. and these have the merit of being original to the jacket.

PS Congratulations on a fantastic find!

Great find. I would stitch the badges back myself, reason being that men (at least in the navy) had to sew their own badges on their uniforms and the stitching wasn;t

always nice and neat as a professional would make.

I have some old khaki thread if you want some.

This sort of generosity and kindness is what makes the Forum so special. Cheers, Bill

Definitely put them back, but it's important for this to be done really well, using period thread and the original holes as far as possible. Or do as I would and get someone with greater skill to do it, depending on your confidence in your own ability. You wouldn't think twice about replacing missing buttons, shoulder titles, etc. and these have the merit of being original to the jacket.

PS Congratulations on a fantastic find!

Thanks, W. Had it not been for your ever generous sharing of your knowledge and experience I would not be enjoying this find. Thank you! Cheers, Bill

Well I'm hoping for a picture or two on here when it's done.... :thumbsup:

Well I'm hoping for a picture or two on here when it's done.... :thumbsup:

Absolutely! Cheers, BIll

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, fotos of Pte. H.H.Colwell's British made M1907 service dress jacket period modified for Canadian use (standing collar with 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles collar dogs, Canadian buttons and armpit darts) with formation patches re-applied. Thanks to the Forum members for helping me sort this all out. Cheers, Bill

PS: Sorry that the pictures (color tones and clarity) don't do the subject justice. I'm still using 1999 vintage 1 pixel camera and laptop.

post-21989-0-91375100-1305677189.jpg

post-21989-0-04049500-1305677273.jpg

Formation patches re-applied after almost a century with period thread from a soldier's 'housekeeper' using the existing holes in the patches and pushing the last few remnants of the thread originally used to secure the patches (still protruding from the jacket when I acquired it) thru the holes in the bottom of the lower patch (loose threads). Amazing how it all lined up.

post-21989-0-75848500-1305677412.jpg

Thank you very much for those pictures, the jacket looks marvellous and is a credit to you. :thumbsup:

Nice work, Bill. An appropriate restoration sensitively done.

Nicely done & good advice in the first place to check pockets - I've been lucky enough to find a real assortment too in the various uniforms that have passed through my hands (mostly Imperial Russian) including spare sets of shoulder boards & even a gold wedding ring.

I had a find some years back where I got a rare Russian White Army shirt with sewn on boards where you could clearly see the armshield had been removed from the sleeve of the shirt. The missing patch was neatly folded up in the tiny watch pocket of the breeches that came with it & it matched the slightly non faded part of the shirt perfectly. A friend of mine was desperate to acquire the uniform so let him get his wife sew it back on after he bought it form me as I'm sure she would make a damn sight better job than I would!

Nicely done & good advice in the first place to check pockets - I've been lucky enough to find a real assortment too in the various uniforms that have passed through my hands (mostly Imperial Russian) including spare sets of shoulder boards & even a gold wedding ring.

I had a find some years back where I got a rare Russian White Army shirt with sewn on boards where you could clearly see the armshield had been removed from the sleeve of the shirt. The missing patch was neatly folded up in the tiny watch pocket of the breeches that came with it & it matched the slightly non faded part of the shirt perfectly. A friend of mine was desperate to acquire the uniform so let him get his wife sew it back on after he bought it form me as I'm sure she would make a damn sight better job than I would!

Very exciting stuff. Cheers, Bill

• 1 month later...

Had a very good find very recently, when checking the pockets of a cuff-rank 2/8 R. Warwicks' Lt's field tunic to a named officer who had been wounded at Cambrai in Dec '17. Firstly an old coin, an 1878-dated Channel Islands' coin in the top breast pocket, then in the bottom skirt pocket... a trench whistle!