Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform and hat badge i.d

Arnhem44

Hi all,I'm posting this on behalf of someone else who owns the following photo and was wondering could anyone put a date on the uniform and the cap which I believe is a Cor Blimey from 1915 but the photo is marked circa 1905 on the back in pencil,the name of the soldier is thought to be that of a man named Patrick Flynn from Clonakilty Co.Cork,sadly there is no service number to work from.Also could someone i.d the badge which I believe is an Army Service Corps badge?,any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Brendan

Pat_Flynn_1905_Clonakilty.jpg

Patrick_Flynn_Cap_Badge_Clonakilty.jpg

Hello Brendan.

First of all are you heading for the Curragh this weekend? I'll be there from Friday evening, should be a blast.

Anyway, the lads here are going to ask you for a bigger image of the badge.

I am going through the Limerick papers at the moment and there is a lot of stuff in there on soldiers who survived. Have you a name for him?

Cheers.

Tom.

Hi all,I'm posting this on behalf of someone else who owns the following photo and was wondering could anyone put a date on the uniform and the cap which I believe is a Cor Blimey from 1915 but the photo is marked circa 1905 on the back in pencil,the name of the soldier is thought to be that of a man named Patrick Flynn from Clonakilty Co.Cork,sadly there is no service number to work from.Also could someone i.d the badge which I believe is an Army Service Corps badge?,any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Brendan

Yes he is a Pte in the ASC with a 1915 pattern, so-called 'Gor Blimey' Trench Cap and the simplified SD jacket with no chest pocket pleats, or shoulder patches, that was issued over the period late 1914 through to late Spring 1915. He is also wearing spurs and the 1903 Pattern bandolier typical of men with mounted and/or driving duties.

post-599-0-85908200-1304533656.jpg

Hello Tom,

I am sorely tempted to head up there but I'm saving at the moment for a two week trip to Verdun at the end of July which is all booked.If I do I'll keep an eye out for ya.Also off topic I just picked up your Carlow War Dead book and am looking forward to the next one(which is on pre order),keep them coming and well done.The photo's are clickable thumbnails and should enlarge for you,his name is Patrick Flynn from Clonakilty however his relative has said this man moved to the U.S in 1906 which I believe does not fit the date for the cap which I believe is a Gor Blimey from 1915 so there's lots of questions as to the date which is pencilled in on the back with the soldiers name but the date appears to have been written in afterwards at a later stage.

Regards

Brendan

Thank you FROGSMILE for that,now that at least that confirms a date and time period for his uniform and cap which is a huge help.

Regards

Brendan

Thank you FROGSMILE for that,now that at least that confirms a date and time period for his uniform and cap which is a huge help.

Regards

Brendan

My pleasure. Perhaps he returned to Ireland to enlist when war broke out and then went back to the US after the armistice.

Maybe so,it would be one possibility.If I find out anymore about the man I'll let ye know,thanks again.

Regards

Brendan

Great photo. He looks a bit older to me. I'm wondering if he served earlier but without more detail there's no point trawling the records.

Assuming he served abroad, the MICs I can find are as follows. No Pats listed.

Patrick Flynn

23rd Field Ambulance, Army Service Corps

T/16338

Patrick Flynn

Royal Army Service Corps

SS/14287

Patrick Flynn

Army Service Corps

R4/109078

Patrick Flynn

Army Service Corps

T/393898

Patrick Flynn

Army Service Corps

DM2/163692

Patrick J Flynn

Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers, Army Service Corps

21771, M/417516

P Flynn

12th Royal Fusiliers, Royal Army Service Corps

G/10380, S/455507

I had a quick look but only one Patrick Flynn that survived in the Limerick papers but he was from Westmeath. Glad to see you have the Carlow book, it was not launched, just kind of escaped. The Clare one is in the shops as we speak.

Kind regards.

Tom.

The Winter Service Dress cap, or "Gorblimey", was introduced in late 1914, probably November. Photos exist of it being worn at the front in December 1914. It was never worn universally, and was phased out from spring 1916 after the steel helmet became mandatory wear in the front line.

Yes he is a Pte in the ASC with a 1915 pattern, so-called 'Gor Blimey' Trench Cap and the simplified SD jacket with no chest pocket pleats, or shoulder patches, that was issued over the period late 1914 through to late Spring 1915. He is also wearing spurs and the 1903 Pattern bandolier typical of men with mounted and/or driving duties.

agree of course but interested in your cut-off for issue Simplified Jacket ..... where does info. come from please?

agree of course but interested in your cut-off for issue Simplified Jacket ..... where does info. come from please?

A previous post on here with some precise dates that I have not bothered to repeat. You can find it via Search. I forget whether Joe Sweeney, Wainfleet, or tocemma, but from memory I think it might have been one of them. I had no reason to doubt the data that was quoted and it fitted with contemporaneous photographic evidence - always the best kind.

It is not to say that the jackets could not be seen later than the period quoted, just that the initial issue was apparently within that time frame and the jackets are much less often seen after 1916. With the combination of cap and jacket my assessment stands.

The Winter Service Dress cap, or "Gorblimey", was introduced in late 1914, probably November. Photos exist of it being worn at the front in December 1914. It was never worn universally, and was phased out from spring 1916 after the steel helmet became mandatory wear in the front line.

Thank you Wainfleet, I stand corrected. Hopefully that fact has not changed too much the assessment of the time frame within which the photo was taken, as sought by the original poster.

Thanks everyone for all your help,the owner of the photo believed it to be taken circa 1905 but based on your knowledge the photo can now be dated to 1914 onwards which will be a great help.Sadly no details to be found on Ancestry but I'm sure some of the service numbers posted previously can be narrowed down but may never be matched up properly to this man in question.Hopefully in time something may turn up.

Regards

Brendan

Thanks everyone for all your help,the owner of the photo believed it to be taken circa 1905 but based on your knowledge the photo can now be dated to 1914 onwards which will be a great help.Sadly no details to be found on Ancestry but I'm sure some of the service numbers posted previously can be narrowed down but may never be matched up properly to this man in question.Hopefully in time something may turn up.

Regards

Brendan

A bit of detective work and you should have your man Brendan. The photo certainly seems likely to have been taken before the Summer of 1916 based on the items of uniform seen.