Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

soldiers 24bn aif

sabine72

hello,

I have found these words on several soldiers on the AIF project site " effective abroad still overseas" while I was researching the 24 bn aif 17 reinforcement. so did this mean they never went home again since all the other survials had a date of returning home. from the 154 on the list 37 died most of them have no grave

kind regards

sabine

hello,

I have found these words on several soldiers on the AIF project site " effective abroad still overseas" while I was researching the 24 bn aif 17 reinforcement. so did this mean they never went home again since all the other survials had a date of returning home. from the 154 on the list 37 died most of them have no grave

kind regards

sabine

Hi Sabine,

It means at the time of the roll being compiled the soldier was still in France/England and was yet to return to Australia. Units of the AIF weren't returned as formed bodies, if you look at when the soldiers that you have listed as returning to Australia actually returned you'll see they came back on a dozen different transport ships at a dozen different times.

Though members of the AIF could apply to take their discharge in England it is most unlikely that this is what all (if any of) your missing men did.

Dan

Dan,

thank you, I had seen that there were several dates when the men came home.

2 had a special remark as not being on the roll wonder why

kind regards

sabine

Dan,

thank you, I had seen that there were several dates when the men came home.

2 had a special remark as not being on the roll wonder why

kind regards

sabine

Sabine,

Both the Embarkation and Nominal Rolls have many omissions and this is possibly why they are missing, in fact the Embarkation Rolls have numerous errors where men are listed as leaving on a particular ship when they may have actually left on a different ship at a different time. I've found whole Reinforcements wrongly listed as embarking on such and such a ship at such and such a time but all in all they are an excellent reference.

You really need to go to the soldier's files (National Archives) to get a more accurate indication as to when and on what ship a soldier left, though these files also have their issues when it comes to dates etc.

Happy hunting

Dan

Dan,

thank you for the advice

still have one question how can I find in witch company a soldiers was in?

I didn't see anything in the sevice records

kind regards

sabine

Sabine,

The Company can be stated in the individual's service record but just as likely not. As you're researching a reinforcement, what is constantly referred to is which reinforcement a man embarked with, unless he was an original Unit member and a Company will be stated.

You'll have to look carefully throughout the service record and see if it is mentioned anywhere, quite often letters from family (contained within their files) mention which Company, and sometimes even Platoon and Section, a soldier belonged to.

Don't worry, you're not alone ..... it's frustrating for the rest of us too.

Depending on how obsessive you are, a look at the Routine Orders / Battalion Orders (held at the AWM) can be most rewarding, though not cheap if you have copies made.

Dan

Sabine,

This probably won't help in this case where the soldier survived, however soldiers statements in Red Cross Files on killed/missing soldiers often mention company's a soldier served in.

Scott

scoot,

thank you, I forgot I had his red cross files too. austin griffiths died o7/101917 after getting wounded during the battle of broodseinde

I took his nephew on a tour two weeks ago.

kind regards

sabine

I took up to three years for all the soldiers to be returned home.

Bright Blessings

Sandra