Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why no medal card

warnock88

Hello all. My relative 2/lt Frederick ATaylor was a pilot with the RFC.His sevice record( air/76/496 ref 581) shows he was in France and was wounded at least once.The record says service considered for medals but I can not find a medal card . I have a photo taken latter in the 1920s which show medal rippons on his uniform. We dont have his medals but it would be nice to know what they were.

Any suggestions how I can solve this issue.

Many thanks

Hello all. My relative 2/lt Frederick ATaylor was a pilot with the RFC.His sevice record( air/76/496 ref 581) shows he was in France and was wounded at least once.The record says service considered for medals but I can not find a medal card . I have a photo taken latter in the 1920s which show medal rippons on his uniform. We dont have his medals but it would be nice to know what they were.

Many thanks

I believe (willing to be corrected!) that officers had to apply for their medals. So a medal card would only exist if he applied for them.

Chris

Edit: the existence of ribbons might contradict this but I suspect ribbons could probably be purchased separately

Edited by 4thGordons

My relative 2/lt Frederick ATaylor was a pilot with the RFC.His sevice record( air/76/496 ref 581) shows he was in France and was wounded at least once.The record says service considered for medals but I can not find a medal card

Did your relative have any Army service prior to joining the RFC? If not then I would assume he hasn't got a Medal Card because they're for medals administered by the Army. I believe that if his service was only with the RFC then his medal entitlement would have been dealt with by the Air Ministry/Royal Air Force and their 'system' isn't available to search online.

Regards

Steve

• Admin

Steve was a little quicker than me but there is a Lieut. Frederick A Taylor in the cards on Ancestry commissioned into the RFC 29/11/1917. This officer had a trio dating from 1915 an service in the RASC and a SWB.

The mics on Ancestry are by definition and title, 'British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index cards' and only 'some' RFC records are there.

If not him then if you haven't seen it you may find this guide from TNA for researching RFC/RAF records useful useful http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/raf-rfc-rnas.htm

Ken

According to the WO338 Index to Officer's Long Number Service Papers there were only two Frederick A Taylors commissioned into the RFC, one was Frederick Arthur James Taylor, the other Frederick Ambrose Taylor who I believe is the man in question in the OP.

The good news is that Frederick Ambrose Taylor has an Army Personnel file too, it's held at NA, Kew under reference;

WO 339/118463 TAYLOR F [1914-1922]

I suspect that Ken may have found the MIC but that will need confirmation. That may be possible to do from his personnel file because when a man was commissioned from the ranks it's a fairly common occurence for there to be a copy of the original attestation in the file, that would confirm whether or not the ASC man is the correct one.

Regards

Steve

There could also possibly be a "Casualty Card" for him held by the RAF Museum at Hendon.

Steve.

Many thanks

On 'Ancestry 'there is a SILVER WAR BADGE CARD for 2nd Lt.F ALLAN TAYLOR RFC Date of Application 18/2/1918

Address

Carlton Villa,

Crofts Bank Rd,

Urmston Nr.Manchester.

Could this be your man?

Regards

Corona

According to the WO338 Index to Officer's Long Number Service Papers there were only two Frederick A Taylors commissioned into the RFC, one was Frederick Arthur James Taylor, the other Frederick Ambrose Taylor who I believe is the man in question in the OP.

The good news is that Frederick Ambrose Taylor has an Army Personnel file too, it's held at NA, Kew under reference;

WO 339/118463 TAYLOR F [1914-1922]

I suspect that Ken may have found the MIC but that will need confirmation. That may be possible to do from his personnel file because when a man was commissioned from the ranks it's a fairly common occurence for there to be a copy of the original attestation in the file, that would confirm whether or not the ASC man is the correct one.

Regards

Steve

Thank you all . This is great. Yes my relative is Frederick Ambrose Taylor and he did rejoin the forces --we were told the Tank Corps and serve in Iraq. But army records have told us they have no records of him. Is this file one that can be got on line ? I ask as i live along way from the South east.

many thanks

On 'Ancestry 'there is a SILVER WAR BADGE CARD for 2nd Lt.F ALLAN TAYLOR RFC Date of Application 18/2/1918

Address

Carlton Villa,

Crofts Bank Rd,

Urmston Nr.Manchester.

Could this be your man?

Regards

Corona

thank you but no . He is frederick Ambrose

Is this file one that can be got on line ?

Sadly not. It is only available to view at the NA, Kew.

There are a number of alternative routes you could pursue to obtain a copy. You could ask the NA to copy it for you but that could prove expensive depending on how big the file is. You could get a researcher to copy if for you or you could post a request in the "Look up, Photo & Document" section of this forum in case there's somebody going to the Archives willing to copy it for you.

Regards

Steve