Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Leinster and WW1

Joy Lynch

Interesting to consider, whilst discussing the Lusitania, on another thread, that the Leinster was destroyed about a month before the end of the War, 15 miles off the coast of Dublin. This was a servicing Mail boat. About 500 passengers and crew were lost !

Excellent description of dives to the wreck by Lockhart, etc, on Google site under title of Leinster . I think there are several websites also. As described in these accounts, it was Irelands greatest Passenger Ship disaster.

Guest Northumberland

The Leinster was torpedoed and sunk in October 1918 by U-boat U-132, twelve miles out from Dun Laoghaire Harbour; 501 people lost their lives and 184 survivors were rescued by British destroyers RMS Mallard and RMS Lively and taken ashore at Dun Laoghaire. This was the greatest loss ever of Irish life at sea.

Painting of the vessel below.

post-24-1089468813.jpg

Two of the 501 people who lost their lives were Sgt. 17514 James, McLean, 3rd K.S.L.I., of Kidderminster and Pte. 32369 Walter, Watson, 3rd K.S.L.I., of Darwen. Both are buried in Grangegorman Military Cemetery, County Dublin.

Annette

Another of those who died was 2/Lt Alexander Lamont, 9th Bn., King's Liverpool Regt. He is buried at Grangegorman Military Cemtery, too.

Ken

I had a thread on the Leinster when looking for a burial in my local cemetery, under the Leinster crime I think...

John

• 2 weeks later...

The U-boat which sank the Leinster on October 10, 1918 was the UB 123, not the U 132. The German submarine did not return home -- she almost certainly was lost in the Northern Barrage.

Best wishes,

Michael