Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Discharged A.O.C. ?

KIRKY

Hi. got an MIC showing soldier was in HAC then into APC, shows Dis A.O.C. 28/4/17 but he wqas also sent a SWB in May 1919?

Can anyone help to establish when he was wounded?

He is Herbert F Woodward HAC 1648 then APC 13522

Tony

Ignore the SWB date. Some men were awarded an SWB on discharge (there has been some 'discussion' on the forum as to whether this was automatic or they had to claim it at the time) others had to wait and claim it later (the rules on eligibility changed several times so there were a fair number of retrospective claims) SWBs were not just for wounded so that a man who was discharged through accidental injury or illness incurred during service could also claim.

APC/233

post-1302-0-51069500-1304457401.jpg

Steve

Something odd here

The SWB form is dated before the discharge date on it and has a stamp with yet a different date. None of which agree with the info that Tony says is on his MIC. It would be fine if it represented a retrospective claim but for the discharge date. Was it possible to claim an SWB if the cause of discharge was after the end of the fighting? I'm confused (without any dots or coms)

Could those different dates on the claim form just reflect the time taken to get from an out tray to an intray and being processed at the next stage of the claim being substantiated ?

Thanks for all info so far, Steve where did you find that document?

What does A.O.C. mean?

I have the original letter sent with the SWB and this should have been returned by the Soldier but was not!

Tony

Could those different dates on the claim form just reflect the time taken to get from an out tray to an intray and being processed at the next stage of the claim being substantiated ?

Yes but the order is odd

The 392 (XVI) KR reference on the SWB claim form shows he was discharged as "No longer physically fit for war service".

If it wasn't for the mismatching discharge date on the claim form all would be simple viz

• He was discharged 28/4/17 as unfit but was not regarded as eligible for an SWB
  • The qualifications for an SWB were widened in 1919 which resulted in a large number of retrospective applications as per Army Order 29/1919
  • His was one of these which was approved
  • His SWB arrived in May 1919

Thanks for all info so far, Steve where did you find that document?

What does A.O.C. mean?

I have the original letter sent with the SWB and this should have been returned by the Soldier but was not!

Tony

Hi Tony

It is available at the National Archives in Kew in WO329/3242 page 232 ( APC/232 )but what I have shown you on the Forum is the complete form and there is no more information to be had.

Steve

Centurion

If you look closely at the form it is actually dated 2nd May 1919.

TR

I'm not stupid Terry - I spotted that and it agrees with the delivery of the SWB (as per my previous post) what is odd is the discharge date written on the claim form (as I keep repeating) which, it seems, does not agree with the discharge date on the MIC if Tony is quoting this correctly and is after the date when the claim was made (by ten days).

• He was discharged 28/4/17 as unfit but was not regarded as eligible for an SWB

It doesn't help with the disparity between the two dates on the SWB Claim form but I suspect the "Dis A.O.C. 28/4/17" relates not to a total Discharge from the service but to his Discharge from the Honourable Artillery Company. The HAC were Territorials and, as such, a soldier in that Force had to be Discharged from his Territorial unit to take up a position with a Corps.

I'll profer the suggestion that "Dis A.O.C. 28/4/17" is either "Discharged (to) Army Ordnance Corps 28/4/17" or likewise to the Army Pay Corps but abbreviated incorrectly. I prefer the former suggestion as Army Pay Corps number 13523 (one after the man in question) was issued in August 1917 (again to a man transferred from the HAC).

The attached example shows the process of Attestation/Discharge etc. from HAC to APC quite nicely....

Steve

post-1432-0-90218000-1304597732.jpg

Thanks for all of your help.

Tony