Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Short Leather Gaiters

Cossack Wolf

I picked these up at a car boot yesterday & not sure of exact era - they are a pair & have been worn as a pair although they appear to have different markings (or rather what markings I can make out in each one are different). One has an arrow with 18 under it & the other one has a large inked 3 in it. The buckles don't have pins to secure the straps & no holes in the straps so they just pull through & are held in place like that. Hopefully the pictures should explain all - I look forward to your responses!

Regards....Andy

post-65942-0-98578100-1304351277.jpg

post-65942-0-18360200-1304351305.jpg

& the markings....

Arrow over 18 & inked stamp '3'

post-65942-0-07154000-1304351444.jpg

post-65942-0-03592500-1304351541.jpg

These are WW2 - leather versions of the webbing equivalent for issue to Home Guard and the like.

Ah ok, it seemed odd that it should have the 18 under the arrow which is normally associated with an issue date?

Hi Andy, I can't tell you anything about them but here is Albert Hall, Notts & Derby wearing a pair although his look a bit longer.

post-20062-0-01039900-1304351999.jpg

Ah ok, it seemed odd that it should have the 18 under the arrow which is normally associated with an issue date?

These tend to be inspectors numbers, and rarely have anything to do with the date of manufacture (unless mentioned by sellers on Ebay and the like to bump up the value). I saw a very clearly 1940's dated 1903 Pattern belt only the other day for sale with a Home Guard soldiers name attached that had a broad arrow over 14.

Similar example for sale:

http://dbgmilitaria.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=164

Ok thanks Andrew, either way I guess 20p was ok for them :)

Regards...Andy

I picked these up at a car boot yesterday & not sure of exact era - they are a pair & have been worn as a pair although they appear to have different markings (or rather what markings I can make out in each one are different). One has an arrow with 18 under it & the other one has a large inked 3 in it. The buckles don't have pins to secure the straps & no holes in the straps so they just pull through & are held in place like that. Hopefully the pictures should explain all - I look forward to your responses!

Regards....Andy

Often referred to colloquially as 'gaiters', the official nomenclature is 'anklets'. The pattern you have shown and their 1937 pattern cotton web equivalents both had simple friction buckles with no pin. The version sometimes seen in WW1 were of Boer War vintage and secured with a running lace rather than 2 buckles.

Often referred to colloquially as 'gaiters', the official nomenclature is 'anklets'. The pattern you have shown and their 1937 pattern cotton web equivalents both had simple friction buckles with no pin. The version sometimes seen in WW1 were of Boer War vintage and secured with a running lace rather than 2 buckles.

Thanks Bob, I had heard the term 'anklets' but felt gaiters was more commonly used! I can't remember if I sent a reply to your final e-mail on my Great-Grandfathers uniform but it was really helpful & informative so many, many thanks to you for that. I am now trying to find out where there are emplyees archives held for His Majestys Office of Works as that's where he went when he retired from the 2nd VB ES in 1905.

Regards....Andy