Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying this hat?

pioneer

I have just found this cap at my mothers house and she says that it was her grandfathers?

Does anyone know what period it is from please?

It is made out of what appears to be mole skin? Lincoln, Bennett & Co, Sackville st, Piccadilly, London: in the label.

Regards

Pioneer

post-47469-0-16444100-1304263751.jpg

post-47469-0-16118600-1304263759.jpg

Not being an expert, I'd hazard a guess at Lincolnshire Regiment officer's badge.

Thanks Steven, i am trying to date the peaked cap.

The badge is Lincolns as you say, however, any idea when the hat was worn?

Regards

Thanks Steven, i am trying to date the peaked cap.

The badge is Lincolns as you say, however, any idea when the hat was worn?

Regards

It looks like an officers pattern SD cap from between the wars circa mid to late 1920s, when a more square shaped peak came in to use. The material would be either whipcord, cavalry twill or barathea, depending on regimental dress regulations (for the Lincolns) . The 'moleskin' effect that you describe sounds like "doeskin", which was (is) a very finely woven, soft and felted woollen fabric, used for Mess uniforms and Coloured, Undress forage caps (peaked), rather than the khaki that you have shown.

Many thanks for your kind help.

My pleasure. You can learn much more at this thread (as did I) and, in particular, take note of the differing materials used: http://1914-1918.inv...pic=142640&st=0

I have re-posted a picture of another Lincoln's cap that seems to be of between the wars construction. It is made from khaki barathea, a superior and thus more expensive fabric.

post-599-0-05076100-1304330521.jpg