Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Curious cartridge

Chutist33

Hi to all Pals, Can anyone throw any light on a curious cartridge case found today. It is white metal and was blackened like silver before cleaning. It is a similar shape to a british .303 cartridge, but slightly smaller and thicker. The base stamp is divided into 4 quarters. North stamped letter X, East stamped 08, South interlaced GR or RG, West stamped 19. The neck of the cartridge is stamped Ges.Gesch. The curiousity is that where the projectile should be (its absent) the case is threaded. Cant imagine wanting a "screw in" bullet. Was it perhaps to hold a pen or something like? Any suggestions welcome!! Yours aye, Jim K

It sound like it was possibly a pencil or similar.

A picture would help to define the calibre, but it could be 8 x 50mm Mannlicher by the headstamp, the standard infantry round of the Austro-Hungarians. The headstamp is typically military, indicating manufacture in August 1919 by Georg Roth (GR) of Vienna. It seems odd that it is post war, could it be "18" and not "19"?

"Gesch" is short for Geschoss, meaning "bullet" in German but I am not sure why it should be stamped on the neck.

Other than that I cannot help further without a picture.

Regards

TonyE

Hi Tony, Thank you very much. amazing as always!! I will try to process an image. It is definately 19. The metal has a silver feel to it and it appears silver inside too, although looking down inside there seems to be a hole which the primer is covering. Pity the head is missing. Once again, many thanks, yours aye, jim K

I've seen a cartridge that has been converted into a corkscrew, but this had a loop soldered to the base which unscrewed from the body of the casing, the 'bullet' was hollow and hid the point of the corkscrew. I guess there were numerous novelty items like these made from cartridges.

Hi Tony, Thank you very much. amazing as always!! I will try to process an image. It is definately 19. The metal has a silver feel to it and it appears silver inside too, although looking down inside there seems to be a hole which the primer is covering. Pity the head is missing. Once again, many thanks, yours aye, jim K

I've come across a British case that was electro plated (or similar process) and converted into a propelling pencil, perhaps this was something similar?

"Gesch" is short for Geschoss, meaning "bullet" in German but I am not sure why it should be stamped on the neck.

Ges.Gesch. is usually short for Gesetzlich Geschützt, which means 'legally protected' and, in practice, patented or design registered.

Cheers,

GT.

Thanks for that, I assumed it was "Geschoss" as that is the normal abbreviation used on ammo packets, drawings etc.

Something more I have learned.

That points another finger at it being a pencil or some kind of implement.

Regards

TonyE