Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte C Berriman

Hfarrell14

Hi all i am seeking information on pte C Berriman no 20455, 9th Queen's Royal Lancers. I can not find his medal card or any info about him on ancestry. He is buried in the local cemetery here in Longford, Ireland. I would be very grateful for any info.

Hugh.

Hello - and welcome to the Forum.

As you probably know, he's on CWGC: Berriman (edit: but not apparently on Ancestry's version of SDGW - but that only goes up to 1919). No MIC may mean no "overseas" service?

Hugh,

Name: BERRIMAN

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: 9th (Queen's Royal) Lancers

Date of Death: 15/09/1920

Service No: 20455

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: South-East of entrance.

Cemetery: LONGFORD (BALLYMACORMICK) CEMETERY

It is possible that he didn't serve in a theatre of war and so no entitlment to medals and no MIC. Or perhaps he served during the war with another regiment.

John

Hi Hugh

CWGC has his date of death as 15/9/1920. With it being a local cemetery the church should have burial records which often give extra details.

Duncan

I assume that his death was not connected with any IRA or Black and Tan activity?

Don't know the area, so could be totally wrong, but just a question....

Thanks to all for taking the trouble of researching and replying, I did find him on cwgc and was hopeing to find his christian name as I am researching the 350 soldiers from Longford or with Longford connections who died in the Great War and hope to gather as much information as possible about each. I have next of kin, birth place, death date and buriel locations of most of them and photos of some of them. My information on C Berriman is very limited but i will keep trying. Once again thank you, regards,

Hugh.

I assume that his death was not connected with any IRA or Black and Tan activity?

Don't know the area, so could be totally wrong, but just a question....

No I don't think his death was related to the war in Ireland at the time but he could have been stationed in the barracks there.

Hugh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_Queen's_Royal_Lancers#First_World_War

"The Lancers were involved in little action between the wars. They were stationed in Ireland during the Irish War of Independence and employed in a counter-insurgency role in counties Longford and Roscommon."

John

The local newspaper archives are going to be your best bet I think.

John

• 3 years later...

He "died shot", from his Lancers register entry.

I cannot find a Military Inquiry, nor can I find KIA reports

My feeling is that he was either accidentally shot by another soldier, or it was Suicide