Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RASC, Aldershot - photo

BabaAndrew

I would be most grateful if anyone can help me to date this photo postcard, of a gent in the RASC, at Aldershot - which is amongst old family photos.

Given that the badge is of George V (there is a larger badge on the postcard, below the photo, where the "V" isclear), I take it that it is from somewhere between late-1918 and 1936. However, I would appreciate any help to more accurately date the photo.

The photo is thought to be of a great-great-uncle, who served during WW1 - until Feb 1919 (if found the right medal index card!).

Any assistance appreciated!

post-59697-0-00139800-1304163038.jpg

I would be most grateful if anyone can help me to date this photo postcard, of a gent in the RASC, at Aldershot - which is amongst old family photos.

Given that the badge is of George V (there is a larger badge on the postcard, below the photo, where the "V" isclear), I take it that it is from somewhere between late-1918 and 1936. However, I would appreciate any help to more accurately date the photo.

The photo is thought to be of a great-great-uncle, who served during WW1 - until Feb 1919 (if found the right medal index card!).

Any assistance appreciated!

He is a soldier of the RASC wearing the full Blue Patrols uniform (i.e. including the coloured forage cap in dark blue with white piping) that was first issued at public expense for the Coronation of King George VI in 1937. If he is wearing old George V badges it is because he has not yet been issued with the new King's insignia.

I suspect he had either, joined the Territorial Army in his old Corps, or re-enlisted in the Regulars, and was attending the 1937 Coronation.

A similar uniform was issued for our present Queen's Coronation in 1953 with the minor modification of extending the white piping to the edge of the shoulder straps and putting a wider (one inch, except for RA and several other units) red stripe up the outer seam of the trousers.