The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Cemeteries

unitedsound

I'm travelling from Paris to Ieper in September and would like to visit the most "impressive" German cemetery en route.

I've been to Langemarke before but would like to seek out others,

Any recommends would be appreciated.

TIA

David

Largest ( for interments) in France is en route... Neuville St.Vaast. Largest (interments) in Western Europe (used to be the largest in the world) is down the road from Ieper... Menen.

Most visually impressive (IMO) on that (sort of) route is actually WW2... Ft.de Malmaison on the Chemin des Dames (though Bourdon near Amiens in worth a look too).

To be honest though, there must be 60 or 70 that are 'impressive' for one reason or another (people, backgrounds, layouts, design, original headstone inclusion, stonework, position , etc, etc...) between Paris and Ieper... what are you looking for in specific?

Dave

Dave

Thanks for helping me with this.

I'm giving my cousin his first trip to the Western Front. This will only be my fourth, but only previously to Somme, Loos and Ieper.

Travelling from Glasgow is difficult so my best option is to fly to Paris this time which I am now treating as a bonus as it will let me visit Arras, Vimy and Vermelles.

I've been awestruck by a great number of quality British and Commenwealth cemeteries but have only seen, never mind visited, one German cemetery which is Langemark.

I'll be mapping your suggestions and will fit in at least one.

However, I had no idea about Menen and will certainly go there as I'll be in Gheluveld at some stage.

David

David

If Arras/Vimy are on your agenda then Dave's suggestion of Neuville St.Vaast should be no problem, hardly a diversion at all. Also nearby, to enlarge your experience if you have not seen a large French cemetery, is Notre Dame de Lorette - very impressive. A search here on the Forum of both locations will give you a taste of what you will see.

Jim

Jim

Many thanks for your suggestion.

I will definitely check it out since it's nearby.

I always stop off at St Charles de Potiyze near Ieper as it is close to where my Great Uncle was killed.

A beautifully presented French cemetery. A must for anyone heading for Frezenberg and beyond.

David