Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is the third medal in this photo

corisande

I had a thread about the owner of the medals Frederick Hugo on this link. But never got an identification on the third of the three medals on this photo, can anyone help. I can spot the MC and the OBE :)

medals.jpg

2011 Mar 6. A Dorset paper reports the sale of his medals for £3500. Medals found among toys in an old chest have sold for £3,500 at auction. He was an ancestor of the medals' last owner, Thomas Kerr. These medals, which included a Military Cross and OBE, were just randomly mixed up with all the contents of a chest. Thomas Kerr must have played with them along with his other toys when he was a boy. Major Frederick Hugo was in the Intelligence Corps and served as an interpreter. He was awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. In an enemy air raid, a bomb exploded close to a large munitions dump. Putting his own life at risk, Hugo went to the scene and oversaw the extinguishing of the fire, thus averting a disaster.

Hi Corisande,

This does not appear to be a british medal and would appear to be German? or similar. Is there any chance of a clearer shot as the image is very indistinct, it may be that someone will be able to give a better idea of its origin.

Interestingly a number of years ago whilst researching the Macroom Ambush I came across a photo of Major F.Hugo, OBE, MC. He is referred to elsewhere as: Major F Hugo, OBE,MC(late Indian Army) of Grove House, Southgate, N.

Hope that this helps,

Robert

Hi

Thanks for the input

Afraid I cannot get a better photo - the one above is from the Auction of the medals. They do not seem to have a description of it.

Hugo is not an obvious choice for ADRIC recruit, nor is he an easy man to research, but I have, I believe, cracked his background - on this link- I still have to go through files in TNA, but I will not be there till the summer.

Hi,

As you say you seem to have put together a very comprehensive file on Hugo. I must admit that I was mainly interested in one man, William Hooper Jones, when I did my research and subsequently had an article published on my findings. I did some minor research on the others but never completed anything, so it is now good to see someone tidying up!!

Incidentally your census info for W.H.J. is incorrect, his father was Albert Hooper Jones, not Albert Henry Jones. His mother was Mary Jane Jones and his sister was Violet.

I must admit that I have had trouble finding them on the 1901 census, similar to yourself?

Robert

Hi

The correct page for William Hooper Jones is here - my notes are usually contemporaneous, but sometimes are a bit late before I make them live.

Those fit with the funeral mourners. The only person I have missing is his father from 1901 census. If you can put me right on anything there I would be very grateful. As you have surmised from my recent post, I am trying to "tidy" up the details of these men.

The only person I have missing is his father from 1901 census.

I take it you've both considered this man, a married coachman (which tallies with his 1891 occupation - there's another word which I can't read) living at 12 Burdett Street, but without his wife. If WHJ is with his grandparents at this point and the following census it could well indicate that his mother was either already dead or perhaps in a hospital.

Name: Albert H Jones

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869

Relation: Head

Where born: Hanley Castle, Worcestershire,England

Civil parish: Toxteth Park

Ecclesiastical parish: St Michael

County/Island: Lancashire

Thank you, that's him, with your input I found him right away on Ancestry. Have added him

The mother was alive in both 1901 and 1911 census living with her in-laws. I assume that his parents had not separated as the family was all at the in-laws, rather than her parents.

You don't recognise the medal do you :)

Ah - didn't spot that the mother was there too. Presumably it was AHJ's work that kept them apart. Or perhaps for some reason she and the family couldn't travel with him. However it turned out, pleased to have helped clear it up.

Sorry, no - I did think "Germanic" purely based on the type of cross, but it's much better that I leave that sort of thing to Robert and other medals experts!

It does not appear to be an "Award" ie an Order of Knighthood or Chivalry,type decoration,but, rather a Masonic,Philanthropic or Religious :hypocrite: {Choir} Badge of Office or Association from the Neck Riband I would suggest... :thumbsup: HB

It does not appear to be an "Award" ie an Order of Knighthood or Chivalry,type decoration,but, rather a Masonic,Philanthropic or Religious :hypocrite: {Choir} Badge of Office or Association from the Neck Riband I would suggest.

Thanks that's a thought

Perhaps a passing member of the forum who "knows" about things masonic could confirm. Or if it means their tongue being pulled out, PM me :)

• 1 year later...