Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge made into a Broach

ATNOMIS

Pals.

Cap Badge that has been made into a Broach.

Would have been post or while the war was on going?

Are they collected. Given it today by a lad off another watch.

Regards

Simon

DSCF3754.jpg

DSCF3755.jpg

DSCF3758.jpg

It is often referred to as a 'sweetheart brooch' - however they were often worn when off duty or by veterans on jacket lapels. Collectable but not worth that much.

It is often referred to as a 'sweetheart brooch' - however they were often worn when off duty or by veterans on jacket lapels. Collectable but not worth that much.

Max

I thought sweet heart broach. It looks to me to have been done by a jeweller. Looks well made and been treasured.

I've been told it's WW1, Look period to me but I'm no expert. Like I said the guys & girls know i'm keen on WW1 so they have startd bringing stuff for me to have or have a look at.

Regards

Simon

Simon,

Agree it's a sweetheart broach. Like Max said though, it could have been worn by a veteran after the war. Similarly, it could even be post WW1. Very difficult to be certain. It looks a genuine badge. You can see the sweat holes where one metal has been brazed onto the other. A good sign! Badges were certainly made into broaches while the war was still going on. This sweetheart jewellry continued (and probably still does) well after WW1 though. My Dad had his Fleur de Lys collar dogs made into earrings for a girlfrined while he was serving in the West Yorks and that was in the 1950s!!! Something that earned him a severe reprimand!

I know they're only worth a few quid. But nice to have nevertheless.

Georgie

Simon,

Agree it's a sweetheart broach. Like Max said though, it could have been worn by a veteran after the war. Similarly, it could even be post WW1. Very difficult to be certain. It looks a genuine badge. You can see the sweat holes where one metal has been brazed onto the other. A good sign! Badges were certainly made into broaches while the war was still going on. This sweetheart jewellry continued (and probably still does) well after WW1 though. My Dad had his Fleur de Lys collar dogs made into earrings for a girlfrined while he was serving in the West Yorks and that was in the 1950s!!! Something that earned him a severe reprimand!

I know they're only worth a few quid. But nice to have nevertheless.

Georgie

Georgie

Thank you great story. I have proper sweetheart broach's too.

Tbh I like it and find it warming that some one took the time to make.

Regards

Simon