Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

: Great War, 1914-18: Dunbartonshire Men at the Front - The War Diarie

warthur

I have been looking for this book for a number of years without success . It appears to be out of print . I would be most appreciative if anyone could advise me if they know where a copy might be obtained

ISBN: 090391509X

Title: Great War, 1914-18: Dunbartonshire Men at the Front - The War Diaries of the 9th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Author: James Forrester

Author2: Watson Crawford

Author3:

Publisher: Jordanhill Coll.of Educ.

PublicationDate: 1978-05-00

One can only hope that there might be a reprint someday . I did contact Jordanhill College but they could not help . I have some photocopies of short extracts that i obtained from somewhere and i am aware that the war diaries themseves are missing information for much of May 1915 - I gather becuse there was nobody left to write entries . The casulties especially May 10th and 24th were horrendous

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Canuk

I remember seeing this document a fewyears ago, so I did a search of the British Library catalogue andalso the Library and Archives Canada site. It is an A4 size documentof about 70 pages and contains a transcription of the War Diary ofthe 9th A&SH in the Great War with notes. I also remember there was acompanion volume and I found it on both sites, The Great War,194-1918, Impact on Kirkintilloch by Anne Round (?) et al. This oneis about the same size. From memory it contains details of articlesin the Kirkintilloch Herald about the war. I think it also hasdetails of the tribunals (?) which sat to decide if someone's case toavoid conscription was justified.

Jim

• 3 months later...

Canuk

there should be a copy of this in the William Patrick Library at the Cross in Kirkintilloch, Glasgow G66. They may be able to photocopy some of the pages for you.

In the Jordanhill College's 1979 publication The Impact of the Great War on Kirkintilloch (written by teacher students at the college) there is reference to an extract appearing in the Kirkintilloch Herald of 3.5.1916, taken from a book entitled The Hidden Host by a Lieut Warr.

This was Lieutenant Charles Laing Warr (1892-1969) who was the son of the Minister at Roseneath parish in Dumbartonshire and who enlisted with the Argylls in 1914. He was invalided out following his experiences at 2 Ypres in 1915 and took up Divinity Studies. He wrote at least one other book (sorry its title escapes me but has Flanders in it) about his time at the front. In 1926 he wa sordained Minsiter of St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh which charge he served for the remainder of his life. He died in 1969. The National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh holds copies of his books (though these are readily available both in original editions an dcontemporary print on demand reprints on-line) and under Accesion no 7566 some of his papers, though these all appear to post date an dare not apparently connected to his time at the front.

The William Patrick Library in Kirkintilloch again can provide access to back copies of the Kirkintilloch Herald and the various Annuals which it published and which I recall seeeing as a schoolboy in the 1970s.

The Parish Church of Kirkintilloch played host to a total of 6 Commemorative Services for the Parishioners of Kirkintilloch and District who fell in the First World War, commencing on 25 July 1915 (possibly influenced by the sudden increase in casualties from the town due to 2 Ypres) and annually each July until 1918, again in June 1919 and finally in Nov 1922.

The Order of Service from the first Service contains the following Argylls;

Private John Perrie, 9th A & S H died April 1915 Private Alfred Goodwin, ditto, ditto1845 Corporal David Duff Sturrock, ditto, died 10.5.19151421 Private Walter Stirling Gray, ditto, died 9.5.19151140 Sergeant John Fulton, ditto, died 24.5.1915 (CWGC gives his rank as Corporal)2120 Private John Adams, ditto, died 10.7.1915 (Order of Service gives death as May 1915)

also

3/6107 Private Robert Kilpatrick, 2 A & S H, died 10.11.19143/8023 Private Robert Gray, ditto, died 11.12.1914 (CWGC gives him as of 3rd Battn A&SH) Private John Rankin, 7 A & S H, died May 1915 (CWGC gives 25.4.1915 as date of death)

The second Order of Service (30 July 1916) carries a further list of Argylls killed in 1915;

Major Archibald Gibson Brown, 9 A & S H, died 25.5.1915 (CWGC gives his rank as Captain)Lieut Frederick Robert Hughes Hutton, ditto, died 9.5.1915 (his elder brother Corp John Dick Hutton had been kia 6.2.1915 serving with 2nd Cameron Highlanders)3263 Private George Nugent, ditto, died 24.5.19152975 Private John Nugent, ditto, dittoPrivate Henry Lennon, ditto, died May 1915 (Kirkintilloch war Memorial gives him as Lennen - I have only checked CWGC for Lennon, so hopefully he is there)2977 Private Thomas Semple, ditto, died 24.5.1915Private Harry Wilson, ditto, died May 1915Private Samuel McNicol, ditto, ditto

(there are other deaths from the 9th A&SH from Nov 1915 to Oct 1916 and plenty other Argylls whose battalion is not specified - let me know if any of this later stuff is of assistance)

The Third Order of Service (29 July 1917) gives;

Sergeant W Murray Smith, A&S H, died May 1915 (he is cited in the Impact of the Great War on Kirkintilloch booklet, as having written a letter of his experiences to the Kirkie Herald - he was a Schoolmaster from Milton)

An initial trawl of the CWGC site has so far not pulled up records for those men above who have no service number and no day of death. I have not yet had a chance to thoroughly cross check these names with those on the Town's War Memorial but from a small sample they do all seem to correlate and I suspect that these lists would have been involved in the final compilation of casualties.

Good luck with your publication.

Cowgate

I have been looking for this book for a number of years without success . It appears to be out of print . I would be most appreciative if anyone could advise me if they know where a copy might be obtained

ISBN: 090391509X

Title: Great War, 1914-18: Dunbartonshire Men at the Front - The War Diaries of the 9th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Author: James Forrester

Author2: Watson Crawford

Author3:

Publisher: Jordanhill Coll.of Educ.

PublicationDate: 1978-05-00