Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCLI cap badge?

Keithpac

HI Folks

I have a picture of yet another relative who I was told was in the Cornish LI. The larger picture shows him wearing what appears to be a band uniform, carrying a Tuba. I have looked at the various badges for DCLI and can't identify the one on his cap. Can anyone help??????

Many Thanks

Weefy

post-64304-0-76288800-1303941693.jpg

HI Folks

I have a picture of yet another relative who I was told was in the Cornish LI. The larger picture shows him wearing what appears to be a band uniform, carrying a Tuba. I have looked at the various badges for DCLI and can't identify the one on his cap. Can anyone help??????

Many Thanks

Weefy

It is a Musician's badge of a Lyre. A common British style of badge it was worn by the RA Band and is worn today as a recognition flash by the Corps of Army Music.

post-599-0-02710800-1303942920.jpg

Flash.

post-599-0-73875800-1303943199.jpg

But not as a cap badge in army usage - it was a 'trade' badge worn on the sleeve.

The modern flash there is the 'desert' version; the 'temperate' one is a silver lyre on a mid-blue rectangle.

Thanks chaps,

Does this mean he would have 2 regiments, and therefore 2 service numbers? say for instance like someone in the MGC?

Weefy

I would suspect it was a Civilian Brass Band Uniform wearing the Lyre Badge as a Cap Badge as they do today;probably from one of the Cornish Towns...?

But not as a cap badge in army usage - it was a 'trade' badge worn on the sleeve.

The modern flash there is the 'desert' version; the 'temperate' one is a silver lyre on a mid-blue rectangle.

Yes, I agree that I have never seen it worn as a cap badge. I should have made that clear. The badge I showed was the unique RA badge of appointment and qualification (rather than Trade), indicating a bandsman who has passed his musical certification. The other badge is the Corps of Army Music's Tactical Recognition Flash.

I would suspect it was a Civilian Brass Band Uniform wearing the Lyre Badge as a Cap Badge as they do today;probably from one of the Cornish Towns...?

Hi there,

thanks for all the info,

Do you think the photo was of him in a band uniform before transfering to a frontline unit? The chap in question is Albert Tyler 29788 of the DCLI, KIA 25/03/18. Would he have had a separate Service no. for the Band if it was an army unit? I'm a lifttle puzzled.

Regards

Keith

It would have been a "Town" or Local CIVILIAN Brass Band not a Military Unit in it he does look {too,young for Military Service} young,most of the Towns had such Brass Bands,as did much industry,nothing to do with the Military but had puesdo "Military Uniforms",the Headgear looks to be of pre 1914 vintage,more 1890/1900s??.

Does the photo have a Photographer's Details on it that might narrow down its origins.

HB.

He would only have had Number for his Army Service,if he changed regiments or was posted he would have been renumbered on each occassion [The Medal Index Cards would show these].

Thanks for the info,

I have a similar photo with him holding a bugle, and also in civies alongside a relative in uniform. With no writing on the back of the photo and all the relations of the time having passed away how the wrong story can be told.

extremely grateful for the input,

Keith