Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Swiftsure

Jen

Hi

I've just discovered that a family member Charles Thomas Sheehan (or Thomas Charles Sheehan) died on 23/11/1915. His service number was 280159, Chief Stoker on HMS Swiftsure. I've found a website that has given me some info about the actual ship but I was wondering if anybody knows anything else, it seems that he died a month before the ship returned to Chatham.

HMS Swiftsure was a purchased Chilean ship ( Constitucion) aquired in 1903. 11,800 tons, armed with 4 x 10 inch , 14 x 7.5 inch, 14 x 4 pounder guns and 2 x 18 inch TT. 14000 ihp = 20 knots.

based in East Indies until 1915 and then in the Mediterranean. She was converted into a blockship at Chatham in 1918 but not so used.

She would have been in the Med when your man died.

Aye

Malcolm

it seems that he died a month before the ship returned to Chatham.

Jen,

the ‘Swiftsure’ took part in the failed naval attack on the Dardanelles of 18th March 1915, and she also provided part of the bombardment at Cape Helles covering the landings on the 25th April. Sorry I cannot say where exactly she was in November 1915

However please note that the CWGC, who confirm your details, also state that he is buried at Halling Church Cemetery, Kent. Was the ‘Swiftsure’ not back home when he died? I may be wrong, but it seems to me unlikely that they would keep a man’s body for a month while at sea.

Best of luck with your research

Michael DR

Thanks Guys for the info and the pictures. It did seem a bit strange to me Michael, I didn't think they would have brought him back, buried at sea and all that. According to CWGC he died on 23/11/1915 and he was buried on 27/11/1915. He is definitely buried at Halling Church Cemetery, I found the burial records on-line. I will take a trip there one day to see if there is any more info on his grave. I suppose the only way I will find out what happened is to get his navy records. But if he died at home, would it be in his records? Do you know roughly how much it costs to get them?

Thanks again

Jen.

I suppose the only way I will find out what happened is to get his navy records. But if he died at home, would it be in his records? Do you know roughly how much it costs to get them?

Jen,

Sorry, I can’t help you there

Hopefully a more expert Pal will see this and be able to advise you before too long

Regards

Michael D.R.

A researcher will easily be able to get his ADM188 service paper from the PRO/NA since Navy papers were untouched by The Blitz. This should confirm date upon which he was DD - 'Discharged Dead'.

Usually cheap to get, between £5-10, especially if you know his service number.

Richard

Jen

If you're not in a hurry, I'll get the copy next time I'm at the NA - gratis for helping with the POW project. If you don't hear from me in a couple of weeks give me a reminder.

Mick