Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US M1917-18 Trench Knife Variants

militariaone

Greetings all, my O.C.L. variant came in the mail today and I thought I'd put them all together to share. I hope you enjoy.

Regards,

Lance

Closeups of Stampings.

Regards,

Lance

Very nice.

When I was a lad of 14 or so I almost bought an LF&C at the surplus store - $12.50. Being a kid I didn't have the money and when I came back later, it was gone.

In dreams from which I awaken screaming, it's one with the nine pyramids.

I re-handled one for a customer a few years back and needed to straighten the blade as well. I was surprised because it was very high carbon steel but probably not heat-treated at all - which makes sense. Toughness would be more important than holding an edge.

Greetings Dan thank you for the compliment and too the childhood memories. I believe all of us who collect have had similar experiences.

Mine was five large pillowcases with a very diverse WWI US Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (SSI) collection sewn on to them. The gentlemen selling them wanted $50.00 per pillowcase (They had 25 to 30 patches on each pillowcase). At the time I had only $50.00 on me (I was 12) and I remember thinking the seller was crazy. I couldn’t afford all the pillowcases of course, but at the time I wouldn’t have paid $50.00 for all five of his pillowcases. At the time, I was very much into WWII items and possessed absolutely no interest in WWI stuff. To this day I can’t touch a WWI US SSI/patch without being reminded of my complete and utter ignorance in passing up the chance to buy even one pillowcase. That haunting memory has kept me completely out of collecting them. Ahh yes, the good old (And oh so ignorant) days. Come to think of it that might just be a good future thread’s topic “Name your big one that got away”.

Regards,

Lance