Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MEDAL VALUE

Dave_59

How much would you say a 1915 trio and a death plaque would be worth....to a private in the grenadiers that DOW on the Somme.

p.s... the medals are in very good condition (need a bit of a clean) and the ribbons have never been put on the medals. The medals are in their orig boxes in the orig packaging they were sent in. The plaque is in good condition.

Thanks

Dave

How much would you say a 1915 trio and a death plaque would be worth....to a private in the grenadiers that DOW on the Somme.

p.s... the medals are in very good condition (need a bit of a clean) and the ribbons have never been put on the medals. The medals are in their orig boxes in the orig packaging they were sent in. The plaque is in good condition.

Thanks

Dave

Start @ Around the 500££ Mark & keep going!!!

I'd say it depends if you are buying or selling and if selling, where you intend to offer it.

Ken

I am talking about my GG uncle...(look at my signature). My uncle owns the medals..but nor he or myself would ever sell the medals or plaque.

Dave

My uncle owns the medals..but nor he or myself would ever sell the medals or plaque.

Then the valuation you are looking for is for insurance purposes?

The items to you and your family presumably priceless.

Ken

Hi

For insurance purposes I would say between £600 & £750 but if you have photographs, paperwork etc connected to your GG Uncle to go with them then just keep adding pounds.

Steve

Yes I have a photo of him...mounted on a contemporary (I think) piece of card with a Grenadiers poem on it.

Thanks

Dave

And I have several postcards from him (embroidered cards from France) + a christmas tin (1915) and a bullet with a pencil inside (which he probably used to write the postcards).

And I have several postcards from him (embroidered cards from France) + a christmas tin (1915) and a bullet with a pencil inside (which he probably used to write the postcards).

"Kerching!" :blink:

The Insurance Valuation should be heading for £1K judging by todays Auction & Dealers Prices.,the Ephemera would make a Considerable difference to the valuation,especially considering that it would be irreplacable if lost; stolen or destroyed,I could see such a lot making that sort of Money on the open market considering its Guards connection

Hi Dave

I have to agree with HarryBettsMCDCM, the additional ephemera certainly takes the insurance value up to the £1000 mark. Best get in touch with your insurers asap.

Cheers

Steve

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Thanks

Dave

Before everyone flies off with valuations, you need to answer a few questions:

1. What grade are the medals and plaque? - You need a grade to give a reliable valuation.

2. Was he awarded any gallantry medals or do you have his full entitlement?

3. You say the Somme, when? 1916 casualties can carry a higher price than 1918 examples.

4. Was he KiA, DoW or did he just 'Die' of another cause?

5. If he was KiA, was this in a VC or other notable action?

All these factors will add to your value.

The prices quoted are probably around the mark, but private collectors will and do pay more.

Insure for £1,500.

Ian

He died of 'severe shell shock and trench exposure'...but I think this may mean that he was wounded at fleurs-courcelette, on the 18th September 1916. This was his full entitlement. I dont know how to grade the medals. They have never been worn (they just require a clean) + the same for the plaque.

Dave

Hi Dave

Just a quick word DONT CLEAN THE B***** THINGS!!!!!!!!

The vast majority of collectors prefer a bit of toning and patination. As your relative was a casualty his medals were never worn on parade so why should they be polished to hell kind of puts them into their time period as far as I am concerned, issued never worn must be in extra fine condition any chance of a scan would like to have a drool!

Regards

Paul