Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Fate of My Great Uncle, Moritz Strauß

ph0ebus

Indeed! But 'scuse my absolute ignorance, what is the symbolism of the two hands?

Thanks Daniel! But wow, the mind boggles somewhat at the juxtaposition of a pickelhaube, rifle, and the Dukhanen on a tombstone!:blink: Herr Moritz (and/or his family) clearly very proud of his military service!

• 2 weeks later...

I received an email from a researcher in Gemünden who has taken an interest in my ancestor and will see if he is able to find any additional details in the local archives in regards to Moritz or his brother.  Crossing my fingers!

-Daniel

• 6 years later...

Hi all,

An update: 

The synagogue in Laufersweiler created a page to local Jews who served in the First World War, and my Great Uncle Moritz’ story and grave is one of the ones featured.  Link is below:

https://www.synagoge-laufersweiler.de/de/der-erste-weltkrieg

I am reaching out to them to introduce myself and see if they happen to have any additional information.

Through this site I also discovered three other distant cousins who served in the Great War.  I will be creating new threads for each of them shortly.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread to date.

Daniel

8 minutes ago, ph0ebus said:

Hi all,

An update: 

The synagogue in Laufersweiler created a page to local Jews who served in the First World War, and my Great Uncle Moritz’ story and grave is one of the ones featured.  Link is below:

https://www.synagoge-laufersweiler.de/de/der-erste-weltkrieg

I am reaching out to them to introduce myself and see if they happen to have any additional information.

Through this site I also discovered three other distant cousins who served in the Great War.  I will be creating new threads for each of them shortly.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread to date.

Daniel

Good to see you posting again Daniel, I wondered what had happened to you.  You will find that quite a few regular contributors have either, moved on, or are parading at the last muster by the ‘pearly gates’. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Good to see you posting again Daniel, I wondered what had happened to you.  You will find that quite a few regular contributors have either, moved on, or are parading at the last muster by the ‘pearly gates’. 

Egads, who has joined the choir invisible?

1 minute ago, ph0ebus said:

Egads, who has joined the choir invisible?

Rather a lot when you examine your old threads and see when various individuals last logged in.

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Rather a lot when you examine your old threads and see when various individuals last logged in.

Wow’s that is a shame.  I am almost afraid to look.  I’m still alive and kicking, just was on an extended hiatus from the forum and research in general until recently contending with my mom’s illness.  Good to see you’re still on the right side of the dirt!

5 minutes ago, ph0ebus said:

Wow’s that is a shame.  I am almost afraid to look.  I’m still alive and kicking, just was on an extended hiatus from the forum and research in general until recently contending with my mom’s illness.  Good to see you’re still on the right side of the dirt!

The inevitable effects of anno domini I guess Daniel.  There have been some interesting German themed threads that you’ve missed.  Sadly ‘The Prussian’ has left but @GreyC and @AOK4 are still here.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The inevitable effects of anno domini I guess Daniel.  There have been some interesting German themed threads that you’ve missed.  Sadly ‘The Prussian’ has left but @GreyC and @AOK4 are still here.

I guess I have some catching up to do!