Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UNIFORM IN SINAI DESERT 1920

gareth50h

I am trying to trace the following guy- David abrahamson disappeared, possibly joined the Egyptian police on horseback but no records have been found and this had been researched in the mid 1920s. He married an Egyptian Jewish girl.

Other facts: We do have a name for the wife Saidie and there is also a photograph of David in uniform.. He was born in Leeds in March 1900. CAN ANYBODY IDENTIFY THE UNIFORM.He is in the Sinai Desert, Kantara in 1920. I think the black armband is because of the April 1920 riots in Jerusalem. iIn fact we know he was in Jerusalem on 1/4/1920.

I think he changed his name to R. Adamson. I found the name change on an army record. It's still a tentative lead but suggests he was also with the West Riding Regiment like his brother Joe Abrahamson( Joseph rae) and Dressler.The Army Medal Rolls Index recorded that a David Abrahamson served with the Royal Fusiliers (78834) and the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment (60109). He qualified for the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. As he did not qualify for the 1914-15 Star for service abroad before December 31st 1915, he did not serve abroad before January 1916. He was born at Leeds, the son of Russian parents, in 1900. Unless he enlisted under-age, he would, under normal circumstances, have been conscripted at the age of 18 and one month – in April 1918. He was allotted a post-war (1920) seven digit number with the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment (4603283) which indicated he continued to serve after 1920.

A second index card in the name of R. Adamson stated his name had been changed from David Abrahamson. The entry was marked 1925. The cards provide no genealogical proof of evidence.

As he served after 1920, his military record might be held by the Ministry of Defence.

photo7.pdf

I am trying to trace the following guy- David abrahamson disappeared, possibly joined the Egyptian police on horseback but no records have been found and this had been researched in the mid 1920s. He married an Egyptian Jewish girl.

Other facts: We do have a name for the wife Saidie and there is also a photograph of David in uniform.. He was born in Leeds in March 1900. CAN ANYBODY IDENTIFY THE UNIFORM.He is in the Sinai Desert, Kantara in 1920. I think the black armband is because of the April 1920 riots in Jerusalem. iIn fact we know he was in Jerusalem on 1/4/1920.

I think he changed his name to R. Adamson. I found the name change on an army record. It's still a tentative lead but suggests he was also with the West Riding Regiment like his brother Joe Abrahamson( Joseph rae) and Dressler.The Army Medal Rolls Index recorded that a David Abrahamson served with the Royal Fusiliers (78834) and the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment (60109). He qualified for the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. As he did not qualify for the 1914-15 Star for service abroad before December 31st 1915, he did not serve abroad before January 1916. He was born at Leeds, the son of Russian parents, in 1900. Unless he enlisted under-age, he would, under normal circumstances, have been conscripted at the age of 18 and one month – in April 1918. He was allotted a post-war (1920) seven digit number with the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment (4603283) which indicated he continued to serve after 1920.

A second index card in the name of R. Adamson stated his name had been changed from David Abrahamson. The entry was marked 1925. The cards provide no genealogical proof of evidence.

As he served after 1920, his military record might be held by the Ministry of Defence.

He is a Lance Corporal of Regimental Police (probably on the Garrison or Camp Staff) and marked out as such by his armband and side arm (pistol) in a holster supported by a Sam Browne 'type' (it is not an actual Sam Browne) cross belt. Each infantry battalion is scaled for a provost sergeant who operated under the Adjutant (and RSM) who was supported by (usually) one man told off from each infantry company as his 'policemen' responsible for domestic policing. In large camps these men were brigaded under the APM (Assistant Provost Marshal) to form a Camp Police Force and supplement the often very small detachment of Military Police.

He is a Lance Corporal of Regimental Police (probably on the Garrison or Camp Staff) and marked out as such by his armband and side arm (pistol) in a holster supported by a Sam Browne 'type' (it is not an actual Sam Browne) cross belt. Each infantry battalion is scaled for a provost sergeant who operated under the Adjutant (and RSM) who was supported by (usually) one man told off from each infantry company as his 'policemen' responsible for domestic policing. In large camps these men were brigaded under the APM (Assistant Provost Marshal) to form a Camp Police Force and supplement the often very small detachment of Military Police.

Thanks for reply

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply

Thanks for reply

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply

It seems quite feasible to me that if he spoke Yiddish and/or Arabic, met and became enamoured with a local woman, and was offered a job in the Egyptian Police Force, his background as a regimental policeman would have given him a good grounding. The family story seems quite likely.

• 3 months later...