The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Harry Allardice, 36th Jacob's Horse

AlW

Morning everyone,

I would be obliged for a look up on the Sandhurst Roll Of Honor please for Lt. Col. Harry Allardice of 36th Jacob's Horse, who was KIA whilst commanding the 13th Northumberland Fusiliers on 1.7.1916.

If anyone also has info from the 1911 census for him I would be obliged. I think he was living in Seaton, in Devon at the time.

Regards

Alan W

The only Harry Allardice I can find on the 1911 census is a 20 year old domestic footman born in Liverpool and living in Runcorn. None of the Allerdyces seem to fit either. I tried variations on both names. Hopefully someone will have more luck.

Alan

Could he have been in India at the time of the 1911 Census ? Jacob's Horse was an Indian Army unit,and as your man was commissioned at Sandhurst in 1905 perhaps he was in India prior to 1914 ? I guess there will be Census lists for overseas units for 1911.

Sotonmate

Evening all,

Thanks for the reply's.,

He is listed on Seaton, Deavon, War Memorial and on the Guernsey Society Roll Of Honor, even though he is shown in the 1901 census as living in Jersey.

He also went to Victoria College, Jersey and has a cracking listing in their Book Of Remembrance.

My interest is in why was he born in India?

Why was he in the 36th Jacob's horse? Though to be fair he is mentioned in the Gaz of Jan 17th 1905, 12.6.06, 24.3.14 and 14.8.15. as a track. But did he just happen to be in the UK on leave at the outbreak of war?

And then - how did he come to be living at 9 Seafield Tce. Seaton, Devon. with his wife Helen whilst in the Indian Army? on probate? - which is why I thought he might have been there in 1911.

His CWGC shows him born in India.

Interesting guy.

By the way, his younger brother Colin McDarmid Allardice, has a similar track - but KIA 26.4.15 Flanders (2nd. Ypres?)

Any info is more than welcome and once again guys, I am humbled by your interest.

Regards

Alan W

My interest is in why was he born in India?

Why was he in the 36th Jacob's horse?

As Sotonmate pointed out, "Jacob's Horse was an Indian Army unit". Possibly the son of a British officer serving in India when Harry was born and who retained good family ties to the UK and/or inherited wealth?

There is a book (which I've been thinking of buying for the relative with links to a man in the RFA who served out there) about the lifestyle of British Army in India.

Alan

Your subject initially served in France with 36JH which was part of the 8th Lucknow Cavalry Brigade of the 1st Indian Cavalry Division.

A reasonable scenario is that he was likely to have come from a family in which Father was either Indian Army or Civil Service.It would not have been unreasonable for him to come to Sandhurst and pass out as an Officer,then return to serve with the Indian Army.There were numerous British Officers in Indian Army units.

Finding himself with his unit being posted to France it would also have been reasonable for his wife to travel with him and reside in the UK. Maybe her family were from Devon.

At some point before the Somme the Indian Army unit returned east and he obviously elected to stay and transfer to our Infantry.

Sotonmate

Edit: I now see from the LLT that 36JH remained in the UK into 1917,so he must have agreed to transfer out with a prize of being the CO of a Britsh Infantry Battalion !

Thanks everyone,

I am normally researching the Nothumberland Fusiliers, which of course I still am with Harry!

But what a checkered history for one so young!

India, Chanel Isles, Devon, 36th Jacob's Horse, NF

Brilliant background information, which of course is very, very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Alan W

• 4 years later...
Guest BermondseyGirl2014

Harry Allardice was my great uncle .. Indeed I have his medals which were given to my late father Hugh Francis Allardice, by his grandmother who was Helen Allardice (Harry's mother) when she visited South Africa after thee war.My grandfather, David Onslow Allardice, along with Harry were born in India where their father owned coffee plantations in Mysore.

My grandfather was one of 13 children and the only son (out of 4) to survive WW1 because after the Boer War he decided to stay on in South Africa.

• 2 years later...

Just been digging out information on Harry A and come across this webpage. BermondseyGirl2014 may be interested to know that I have Harry's metal sword chest/trunk which he took with him to India, as well as a leather note pouch (can't remember the name of what it is properly called) that would have been fixed to his saddle. Why do I have them? Because Harry was engaged to my grandmother and I assume she was given certain belongings by Harry's mother Helen when he was killed. The trunk is in quite a state, but still has his name printed on it, as well as various posting labels. I'm in the process of trying to stabilise the labels so they don't fall off any more than they are already. Quite happy to take pictures of the trunk and note pad if you would like them?