Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Diggers Reburied to Avoid Red Tape

Mark Foxe

More general discussion in reply to Steve, on a new thread - Alternatives to "Ploughing in"

David

Thanks for that: makes sense to me (with the caveats expressed by Mr Rutherford).

Every year, just before Anzac Day, stories appear in Australian newspapers relating to the endeavours of the Diggers. Ever now and again, a degree of sensationalism will be included and of course will hit a raw nerve in many cases. Past years we have seen reports on the road works at Gallipoli and the recklessness in the handling of remains uncovered (can a bulldozer be anything but reckless?). Now this year we see the reinvigoration of the Western Front stories.

While it may well be all part of the media's game to sensationalise things in order to sell newspapers, it does highlight the tragedy of the missing and the underlying hurt that still exists.

How do we fix this? Everyone has an opinion but I fear consensus is a long way off.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you here but are you suggesting the damage done by road works at Anzac Cove was just media sensationalism? Having seen it first hand, I can assure you the damage is very real and completely irrepairable. There was absolutely no sensationalism required for that story!

Cheers,

Tim L.

Tim, at no stage did I suggest that that the roadworks on Gallipoli were not a tragedy. Indeed they were. Just as the unrecovered dead in France, Belgium and elsewhere is a tragedy; a crying shame in fact.

What I am saying is that the media will whip up a storm at every opportunity, and they always seem to do it in anticipation of an event such as Anzac Day. Maybe 'sensationalism' wasn't the correct term for me to use. Perhaps they are doing it for a public service, but more likely I think to sell papers. It's all about the story, and bad news sells.

Mark

Quickest way to solve this one is the establishment of a fund to "compensate" farmers for disruption.

The availability of cash might even lead to an increase in recovered bodies.

The availability of cash might even lead to an increase in recovered bodies.

And who knows - some might even be those of long-lost soldiers :whistle:

an article here this morning in the news papers.

they can not laugh with that story the australian journalst published.

Belgian farmers have no reason do leave bodies in the fields since if they would find one, the body is removed in 24 hours time and the farmer does not loose time like said in the article.

police come in to see if it is not a recent murder or anything and then the body is given to the devence people and that is less then 24 hours.

it must be said that it is rare that farmers find bodies, most of them are found during road works ( zonnebeke five) or in industrial zones when factories( ieper area) are build. no doubt that it may of happend in the past. recently two farmers where blown away by shells while plouging the fields, lucky no one was wounded

sabine