Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peaked Cap

Lachlan

I would appreciate any info on a WW1 khaki service cap I used to have in my collection. It was of similar construction to the 1906 model, khaki cloth body and peak, black oilskin lining, green backing to the peak and brown leather chinstrap and buttons. Unlike the well-photographed BEF model which was manufactured with a wide, flat crown and a steeply-sloping peak, my cap, stamped 1915, had a more sloping crown and a slightly more horizontal peak, having been manufactured that way.

I have seen the same cap as mine worn in some photos by cavalrymen and mounted artillerymen.

Was it an issue for mounted troops only ?

It looks to have been the basis for the post-war service peaked cap worn into WW2, especially by the BEF 1939-40.

Sadly, I have a cap that is similar to the one you describe, with a convincing 1917 stamp - but I'm now convinced that it is a reproduction. Hopefully yours is a good'un - do you have a picture?

Cheers

Peter

Sadly I don't have a photo or it anymore ! I sold my WW1, WW2 and post-WW2 collections to save up for getting married. (The mad fool - I got divorced some years later ! I wish I had kept the collection !). I bought it 1977/78 from a good militaria dealer in London I knew back then. His stuff was always A1 and no repros or sleight of hand. I have WW1 seen caps just like it in photos, worn by yeomanry etc. To be honest, WW1 wasn't big business in the 1970's (the "sharks" were more interested in the Third Reich and ripping off customers there). That's why I bought a Brodie in an Edinburgh shark's shop for only GBP 8 !! It was all Nazis with them !! I just asked how much for the "old tin hat", my heart going fifty to the dozen, and he said "eight quid". Sometimes the customer does win !! :rolleyes:

Though I don't have the photos to hand I refer to, you can see in the two photos, at least a couple of the caps have shallower peaks and higher front. In order to make the peak steeper looking (like the older style), the wearers have taken to bending the peak downward in the middle.

post-60205-0-39800900-1303565060.jpg

post-60205-0-47411500-1303565067.jpg