Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification needed.

simonpg

Hello,

I have the attached medal ribbon and clasp, no medal attached.

It is my grandfather's as far as I know. He was in WW1, British & Victory medals, and WW2 I have an Air Raid Precautions Services badge for him. In 1955 he would have been 60yrs old.

I have no idea what the 1955 ribbon is for and am hoping someone can identify it for me.

Thanks

Simon

Tasmania

post-34825-0-88342800-1303525422.jpg

Definitely not military. Possibly a medal from one of the driving or safety organisations granted for passing a test.

It is I believe the Ribbon & Suspension Clasp of a Society For The Prevention Of Accidents Safe Driver Medallion.[Now "RoSPA"]various extra date clasps were awarded as the recipient progressed. :thumbsup:

I agree with Harry. Seeking an image proved too much of a challenge, but you'd have found a silver-grey medal with a red enamel triangle upon it.

I don't think it is anything to do with driving as he never owned a car and never drove as far as I know.

I did wonder if it was his initial service number and give at enlistment as it was in the range of the first lot of number given to recruits of the 25th, they were later changed to 6 digit numbers. The medal cards sometimes give both numbers but in my grandfather;s case it only gives the latter number. And anyway I found a another soldier in the 25th who was no.1955.

It was with his medals which why I thought is was something to do with his war service but looks like it wasn't.

Thanks for the input.

Simon

eBay link to Rospa Medals

Theres Dozens of them....

Whilst he may have not been a Driver,it is undoubtedly a SPA Safe Driving Medal Ribbon & Clasp;.. :blush: