Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Absent voters list 1918

tod1966

Hi everyone, Does anyone know if the Abesnt voters list 1918 for Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire as survived. I'm trying to trace my grandfather Charlie Jackson but cannot find any concrete evidence.I have found a couple of Charlie Jacksons on the medal role index but I don't know which is the correct one.Any ideas? many thanks. Tod1966

Hi tod

I can't answer your question directly but the places to enquire as to the existence of the Lists are your nearest main library, County Record Office or the British Library in London. Many have been destroyed though. You will need to ascertain the constituency Hebden Bridge was in at the time in 1918.

Good luck

Peridot

Also bear in mind that the list might not be printed separately, but might be bound in at the end of the main register.

The local reference library will also have local newspapers on microfilm. These often carry reports about recruits, and "Our boys at the front" . They are time consuming, but can be very rewarding.

Keith

Edit If you track down the local reference library they will probably be happy to confirm what is available in the way of electoral registers, and if you have a specific address in mind may well check them for you in response to a friendly email.

Thanks Keith and Peridot, I will have to think of a very nice email to send to Hebden Bridge libary(if they have one). Thanks again Tod1966

Yes, they do according to the Calderdale Council's website: link. Hebden Bridge has its own Wiki page which indicates it was originally part of the old West Riding.

Hi tod

I can't answer your question directly but the places to enquire as to the existence of the Lists are your nearest main library, County Record Office or the British Library in London. Many have been destroyed though. You will need to ascertain the constituency Hebden Bridge was in at the time in 1918.

Good luck

Peridot

Just an addition to the suggestions already made. I have been trying to prove (unsuccessfully) that my grandfather was one of the several hundred Bolton lads who enlisted in the 15th Bn The Welch Regt and after exhaustive enquiries I contacted The British Library. Apparently a large number of AVLs were destroyed as "part of the war effort". However, they did hold the list for 1918 but unfortunately it's contents didn't help me in my search.

Better luck to you Tod.

Harry