Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines Long Lee Enfield

Devils Own

Here's a riddle.

I picked up a Long Lee last week that I had bought blind. It is one that has been converted to .410 shotgun. It has been proofed and shoots fine.

It turns out to be a Royal Marines rifle.

On the butt plate we have EFD inspection marks and:

9 14

R M

L

So, I would have it down as entering service with 1 Royal Marines in September 1914. It also has a Royal Navy 'N' on the left of the butt socket. So it has more historical significance than I first thought. To be honest, it's not much use to me. I bought it on the spur of the moment to save it from a fate worse than a fate worse than death.

So, obviously it has a good deal of attraction to WWI RN/RM fans. The question is, to make it more widely available, should I de-activate it. Or are there enough WWI fans out there with shotgun certs. I would never ordinarily think of castrating a .303 shooter but since this one has already had a sex-change, I am thinking this may not be such a crime.

Any opinions?

Cheers

Steve

P.S.

It had been DP'ed before conversion to .410.

Steve

Steve what are the markings on the wrist of the rifle (ie what model and mark is it?)

"long lee" covers a good few.

Chris

Sorry Chris, should have said.

It's very hot here today and I was desperate for a beer, so I was in a hurry.

It's a 1900, Enfield LE1*. It was calibrated for MK VI ammo.

Cheers

Steve

P.S. It's not a CLLE version but it has no dust cover. The bolt is a mis-match.

Steve

My opinion on your question would be this. Whilst it is true that to de-act it would make it easier to sell and at a higher return, de-acts are clealy in the frame for the next cull. the powers that be don't like not knowing whats out there, and where. So I believe if it remains on ticket it will survive longer, than a de-act, which we may all be required to register in some form one day anyway. As a coordinator of a living history group I am advising my new members to consider S-G's or FAC's if at all possible, whilst warning of the risks to unrestricted de-act ownership. I hope I am mistaken, but I do warn of the official idea of continued ownership with no resale, etc,permitted which was being spoken of a year or so ago, as a way of not paying compensation. This works as, when you don't want it any more or you have died its surrendered and crushed.

G

Thanks G

I got it from somebody who was going to disassemble it for spares. I'm more interested in finding a home for it rather than getting the highest price, so I will give it a go and try to sell it as a .410. It is quite a rare one so I am sure it will be wanted. I am almost tempted to keep it but I have too many rifles really.

Cheers

Steve

Do you know when it became a 410? Some 303s were converted during WW1 and used by Prison Camp guards etc. The conversion may be part of its WW1 history.

Hello Centurion

I don't think it is the kind of alteration that you'd associate with a military conversion. I think they would probably have removed the mag and put in a wooden block, like the Ishapore ones. This one has a metal plate crudely brazed across the mag well.

Cheers

Steve

It would be interesting if it had gone through the hands of a gentleman called Morrison of Thurnby, Leicestershire, who had a long-running militaria business in the early 1970's when I bought from him. He had a lot of good old British Army items, pre-WW1 and beyond, as well as having stocks of re-bored British military rifles for sale - SMLE, Ross, etc etc. has anyone heard of him ? His shop was near the railway station. I used to deal with him through the mail and phone, after an add I saw in Exchange & Mart.

Dear old Morrisons, I think I have one of his dublicated lists somewhere, 08 webbing sets £8-10-6 if I remember correctly. I think it was him who put all the scarlet tunics and other uniform onto the late 60's market.

G

Here are some pics of the rifle in question

Steve

AND ANOTHER

Two more

post-7896-0-99090200-1303761450.jpg

post-7896-0-83455600-1303761497.jpg

post-7896-0-57448200-1303761577.jpg

post-7896-0-39757300-1303761595.jpg