Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Certs

ralphjd

In the process of helping my mate to find information on men on his database, I have come across what I believe to be a candidate for the IFTC project but I am wondering if a DC is really required, his pension papers quote " Tuberculosis caused and aggravated by service abroad Egypt" pensioner died as a result of contracting this disease. Do I need to apply for his DC (Rochdale) or are the comments etc within his papers sufficient ? Advice required please. Ralph.

Had one myself like that; no DC was required

Got a name please & I will have a read of the file

Chris

Ralph

I would always recommend getting the death certificate, even if the service papers indicate cause and date of death, as it is the "gold standard" of documentary evidence for CWGC/MoD.

In From the Cold will be happy to process the submission on your behalf assuming the DC confirms the link to the service papers - and we'll refund you the cost of getting the DC.

John

Thanks Chris and John. It was just a though, I do not mind getting the DC. The man in question is Fred Butterworth Irvine RFC,Chris, his pension papers are listed under Fred BATTERWORTH Irvine. (They have been told)(Again). Ralph.

I have to concur with John having read the file. Whilst the file shows TB & that he died it does not actually link the 2. The DC will prove it once & for all.

Do you know where he is buried?

Chris

Chris. My "spy" in high places is checking his death registration entry before I purchase the dc, not known where he is buried yet, death registered in Castleton, Rochdale so a trip to my local heritage centre is called for and hopefully I can find his last resting place. Ralph.

Ralph

When you have confirmed the cause of death give me a shout. Rochdale council is one of those that has cooperated with grave searches in the past

Chris

Chris. According to the register of deaths he died from pulmonary tb (I have a copy of the page but not his death cert as yet). He is buried in the same grave as Rochdale's only V C winner James Clark SQ O grave number 14155, checked by myself yesterday. Worth submitting to Terry ? Regards. Ralph.

Ralph

Indeed yes; a good case

A photo of the grave is also helpful to CWGC

Chris

Many thanks Chris, I shall submit it to Terry, request his DC, and download Clarke's headstone. Cheers. Ralph.

Chris. Can I ask you to have a look at another possible for me before I pay for a DC, Edwin Killick Lancs Fusiliers born 1860 papers in the pension section on Ancestry, the first name, I have a copy of the entry from the death register and the cause of death was (1)cancer of liver (2)Phthisis pulmonaris. Grateful for advice. Regards. Ralph.

Ralph

Im going to say no go with this case as there is no indication that his death was caused or aggravated by military service. On the face of it I would say that he already had the condition on enlistment

Chris

Ralph

I agree with Chris. He only served for 57 days, in the UK - almost certainly his medical condition predated his enlistment.

John

Thanks chaps, I thought as much myself, it was an article in the Rochdale Observer that made me think it may have been possible " A Smithybridge Soldiers Death" " Pte Edward (sic) Killick 3rd Lancashire Fusiliers. He was conveyed home from Hull suffering from an internal complaint on January 8th. Funeral Dearnley Church today" (Wed 31-3-1915)This intimates that he was still in the forces when he passed away,(ie died as a serving soldier) but the records that survive go against this as far as I can see. Ralph.

Chris/John. Just to add a bit more on Edwin Killick, rank or profession given on the death registry entry is " Private 3rd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers (Lunatic attendant)(Retired). Still not worth pursuing ? Trying to do my best for this poor man for posterity. Ralph.

Ralph

The file indicates he was discharged on 7/12/14 therefore, if he died in January, he wasn't serving.

Sorry, mate. Not a runner this one.

John

John

Could you stop agreeing with me as im finding it a tad scary

Chris

Once again thanks chaps for your input, its a shame, but it has to be. (To be ever so pedantic John he died in March not January)Regards. Ralph.