Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Newfoundland Regiment

ejcmartin

The new "Trail of the Caribou Memorial Park" was opened this past weekend in St. John's, Newfoundland.

The small park outlines the history of the regiment and various Great War battles with a number of storyboards. There are storyboards for Gallipoli, Beaumont Hamel, Gudeudcourt, Monchy-Le-Preux, Masnieres, and Courtrai. The park is near the site of the original encampment of the "first 500".

ed

post-18142-0-78044600-1303317963.jpg

post-18142-0-85266200-1303317976.jpg

Excellent news. Worth a Screech or three in memory :poppy: . Antony

Good to hear, Ed. I visited the 19 Newfoundlanders (18 soldiers and one nurse) buried in Wandsworth (Earlsfield) Cemetery the other day. First sunny day in a long time, and the plot looked splendid, even though the wreath and original-colours Newfoundland flags brought by Rob Bulloch are now long gone. The wonderful 'The Rooms' website has enabled me to view the service records of these chaps, several of whom were brought there from other parts of the UK for burial. Several of the service records contain accounts of their funerals and photos of their original headstones. I don't know how many other Newfoundlanders are buried elsewhere in the UK, but I get the impression that Earlsfield was the preferred place of burial. If no-one can come over in person, I'd always be pleased to place flags or whatever, sent over from Newfoundland, or perhaps relayed via Arlene at Beaumont-Hamel.

If there's a glass of Screech and a slice of flipper pie going, please send them this way.

Mick

PS I notice that you've been promoted, so are no longer 'Major Martin' — the 'man who never was' ...