Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Vittorio-Veneto

aglastonbury

Hi all.

I have asked before but every little nugget helps to build up the picture. My Great Grand Uncle was with 8th Bn Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards). He was killed in Action 27/10/18 and is commemorated on The Giavera Memorial. As he is named on the memorial he has no known grave.

What I would like to find out is, can anyone tell me which side of the River Piave the battalion was on on that day? In an attempt to find out which cemetery he might be in (assuming his remains were recovered). I have recently found out from CWGC that men killed in the battle on the west side of the river are burred in Giavera anf those killed after crossing the river on the north east are burred in Tezze Cemetery.

I already have his service details so I'm not giving them in this post.

Thanks all,

Alex

Hi

I post a photo of the Giavera memorial with the names of the men of the Yorkshire Regiment. you can find more informations on Giavera british cemetery in my web site www.museoemotivo.org. If you send me at info@museoemotivo.org all you have about your grand grand uncle i will include his personal profile too.

Many of the british soldiers died on 27th October 1918 died crossing river Piave falling into the water so that their bodies couldn't be found anymore. I post too a photo taken exactly on that day showing britsh and italian troops crossing the river.

Happy Easter and see you soon in Giavera!

Pierluigi

Giavera del Montello (TV) - Italy

post-61070-0-82191600-1303570671.jpg

pierluigi thank you for the information an link it's very good. I have sent you what I know about my Great-Grand-Uncle, I hope you will be able to use it.

Heid the Ba' thanks for the pointer on the division, that's the next thing I'm going to look up.

Alex