Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

French Ship "Patre"?

Hello - I am transcribing a war diary of a soldier who when in Valletta Harbour saw a French ship called the Patre. Can anyone shed any light on this ship? I have searched the web and it might be a class of ship rather than the name of a ship... I am looking for clarification and any additional info on this ship.... thanks in advance. MG

"
23rd Nov.1915.
Arrive at Malta at 8am. VallettaHarbour, Not allowed to land. The band of the French Battleship "Patre"plays us into harbour. Start coaling,anchored in mid-harbour"

Probably (or possibly) the Patrie.

She served in the Med during WW1.

Pictures here Patrie

The info about Med service came from the mother site of the above page.

Hope this helps

Nigel

Probably (or possibly) the Patrie.

She served in the Med during WW1.

Pictures here Patrie

The info about Med service came from the mother site of the above page.

Hope this helps

Nigel

Link doesn't work for me....

PATRIE, French Battleship of the Cuirasse de 2e rang, (5 in total) 18 knots launched December 1903 at La Seyne, 14,865 tons, complement 780, armed with 4 x 12 inch guns, 18 x 4 inch, 25 x 3pounder, 2 x 1 pounder, pair of 18 inch torpedo tubes submerged. Armour varied from 12.5 inch midships and turrets to 5 inch upper works. Machinery was 3 vertical inverted triple expension driving 3 screws,24 boilers, designed hp 18,000 = 18 knots but made 19 on trials. Coal was 908 tons giving a range of 6000 miles at 10 knots.

Janes Warships has photos of her sister ships REPUBLIQUE, DEMOCRRATIE, JUSTICE, but no photo of PATRIE or JUSTICE.

Aye

Malcolm