Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eastern Command Bombing School, Surrey......

MrEd

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help, i came across an article on The Eastern Command Bombing Schoo/godstone grenade schooll in Surrey about 6mths ago, it wsa very vague and alluded to where the place was. Google did not help either, so after ages pouring over google satellite images and walking around fields I have found it. Finding pieces of WW1 era Mills Bomb etc cemented the fact i was in the right place

I made a number of grenade finds, and returned a few more times for more fieldwalking and even discovered the remnants of trenches in the woods. All finds i have recorded with GPS locations btw, they were just surface pickups.

My question is, have any of you come across this site or reference to it before? I have found a 1916 dated map and some memoirs that are being sent to me but thats it. I really would like to write a piece to publish online with the history and my observations of the site, but i want to get accurate information in there rather than just my supposition from walking around a huge field and wood......

Im going to return, prob next winter when the vegetation dies down again to see if i can find any of the trench system on the western edge, as i havent been able to look there in detail yet.....

any help appreciated!

cheers

Ed

Edited by MrEd

• 3 weeks later...

Got back from the History Centre, they were helpful and I have now got a better map, and a notebook copy relating to the training. and another on its way in the post

• 3 months later...

Get in touch with the Royal Armouries Library in Leeds, ask them about the notebook of Lt. J.M.J. Trotter as he attended this school and even drew a plan of the bombing trenches. Recommended.

• 3 months later...

Get in touch with the Royal Armouries Library in Leeds, ask them about the notebook of Lt. J.M.J. Trotter as he attended this school and even drew a plan of the bombing trenches. Recommended.

Apologies for the exceptionally late reply! I have done this and got a copy of the notebook, its fantastic, and has enabled me to walk some trenches and identify some other features conclusively many thanks

ed