Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with medal identification please

dobbin

I have received this picture of my uncle's medals from a cousin who is unfamiliar with the detail. I understand the designation of the 3 with ribbons but I don't know what the 2 single ones on the right without ribbons are.No doubt I should know by know but unfortunately I don't. Could someone help please? Colin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25612069@N05/5630729893/in/photostream

Colin.....

What you have is known as a 1915 Star Trio....

1. The 1914-15 Star

2. The British War Medal

3. The Interallied Victory Medal

The problem is the ribbons are on the wrong medals......

The only correct one is the British War Medal.....

The Star and the Victory medal should be reversed...... Red White Blue on Star, Rainbow on Victory......

Mike

The medals that you have in the picture are the 1914-15 Star, the War Medal and the Victory Medal. The 14-15 Star has got the Victory ribbon on and the Victory medal has the 1914-15 Star ribbon on it. I can only presume that your relative has taken extra photos of the reverse of the Victory Medal without the ribbon.

HTH

Mutley

Thank you everyone I will note that but will have to suggest to cousin in US to change the ribbons around. I am still not sure what the separate gold/bronze discs on the right hand side of the picture are Thanks

Hi Clive the two without the ribbons are the reverse side of the victory medal , looks like he has more than one there , another soldiers medals ? the soldiers name and service number will be on the edge of each medal

regards Dave

Hi Clive the two without the ribbons are the reverse side of the victory medal , looks like he has more than one there , another soldiers medals ? the soldiers name and service number will be on the edge of each medal

regards Dave

Dave sorry for the delay but thanks for your reply. What you say is interesting as it could be one of the medals of his brother who died 6 months later I did wonder why when I looked at the picture my cousin sent there were 2 victory medals but I thought he had by some means managed to put the same one in twice which now you raise the point does seem daft. I now think that explains why the ring is round on one but not on the other. It now explains that his brother did have the medals sent home but I had no idea that it was also in my cousins possession.

It is all very frustrating really as I didn't know these uncles my Mum being the last born in the family so I only came on the scene years after they were gone. Mum knew nothing about them so my journey to find them was long as you may appreciate with a name like Evans and the latter uncle Joseph appeared in the records as Jos but it was not easy to read on the MIC so the transcription to NA rec's was unclear. To think those records existed all that time and all someone had to do when they knew I was searching years ago was to just say "oh we have those medals". sadly for reasons unclear to me the family kept quiet about them. Thanks again Dave. Colin.