Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fuses?

ATNOMIS

Pals

Ive been given these? I think they are fuses from shell's?

The one on the right has what looks to be arabic numbers.

Your thoughts please.

Regards

Atnomis/simon

DSCF3727.jpg

DSCF3728.jpg

DSCF3730.jpg

They are certainly fuses. Superficially they all look much alike, but their uses were myriad. These may be of the type used for shrapnel shells i.e. could be adjusted to vary the time between firing and the explosion of the shell to release the shrapnel to achieve the desired effect.I have read that in 1914 RHA & RFA officers were very skilled at deciding the time delay to have the greatest effect on infantry in the open. I could not read the figures etc. No doubt a real expert will identify them.

Old Tom

Simon,

We have another discussion going on as well in the "Identify This Great War Relic" thread, and I posted a link there to the following website:

Passion and Compassion 1914 1918

Click on the 'Artillery and Fuses' tab in the menu and you should find a lot of excellent information and pictures there concerning the two fuses you own, the first of which appears to be a British N80 from 1916.

Cheers!

Lou

Type 80

post-46676-0-56350700-1303150955.jpg

:blink: Simon, in the post before ianjonescl, I identified the fuse for you and provided a link to an excellent website with diagrams, cutaways, and photos of fuses that match yours, and you won't even acknowledge my assistance. What gives? Have I offended in some way?

Lou

Simon,

We have another discussion going on as well in the "Identify This Great War Relic" thread, and I posted a link there to the following website:

Passion and Compassion 1914 1918

Click on the 'Artillery and Fuses' tab in the menu and you should find a lot of excellent information and pictures there concerning the two fuses you own, the first of which appears to be a British N80 from 1916.

Cheers!

Lou

Lou

Many thanks for the input. I'm now at home and can see the full forum. I was on my cell phone at work earlier.

I have found the website very informative.

Regards

Simon

Have I offended in some way?

Lou

Not at all. I was in work on my cell. Sorry to upset you,

Simon

No worrys Simon, you have not upset me at all Sir. I was simply wondering what happened, as you did not acknowledge either my post or Old Tom's. I don't have a cell phone with internet access so I did not realize you could only see the last post in a thread when viewing it via that device, (I will be sure to keep that in mind in the future). Glad the information was useful for you Simon.

Cheers!

Lou

They are certainly fuses. Superficially they all look much alike, but their uses were myriad. These may be of the type used for shrapnel shells i.e. could be adjusted to vary the time between firing and the explosion of the shell to release the shrapnel to achieve the desired effect.I have read that in 1914 RHA & RFA officers were very skilled at deciding the time delay to have the greatest effect on infantry in the open. I could not read the figures etc. No doubt a real expert will identify them.

Old Tom

Cheers Tom

My pleasure! I retired years ago, well before I encountered this forum, but in those far off days Cell phones were not readily, if at all, available and I would not have been tempted at work.

Old Tom

Outstanding! I was not aware that volume was available online. It is now safely in my e-library. Many thanks Sir.

Cheers!

Lou