The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

TRENCH MAP REQUEST - 1st/5th KINGS

yardley

I am trying to pinpoint the spot where my Grandfather was wounded on 15 May 1915, whilst serving with 1st/5th King's (Liverpool) Regiment, 6th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division.

The war diary states that at 10.5 pm on the 15th May the battalion marched out from billets at Le Touret to Richbourg, two companies going to billets at Queen Mary road in readiness to move. The remaining Coys A & B and Bn HQ moved on to Prince Albert road. These two Coys were placed at disposal of an RE Officerat 11.30 pm to dig a communications trench from our front line to the German front line trench.

A google search has failed to find these two roads and it is thought that they may be trench map names.

The Regimental History states that the frontage of attack allotted to the 6th Brigade ran from R1 to the bend in the German lines between R6 and V1. I believe this area to be in the vicinity of Richebourg l' avoue, south of the 'Rue du Bois' and west of the 'Ferme du Bois'.

A copy of the trench map covering this action or any additional information would be most welcome.

Yardley

Have you tried the Museum of Liverpool? http://www.liverpool...y/citysoldiers/

The museum holds the King's Liverpool Regiment Archives and has maps of the WW1 battles.

I've had a look through Peter Chasseaud's book 'Rat's Alley' Trench Names of the Western Front 1914-18 but Queen Mary Road & Prince Albert Road are not listed as trenches.

Yardley, this later map shows mary and Albert roads, hope it helps, Peter

Sorry not very clear but 100 kb max posting....roads amrked in red.

post-2649-0-78826400-1303126034.jpg

Dear Peter,

Thank you very much for the map. Taken together with information received from other members, the 5KLR war diary makes more sense and I have been able to pinpoint the place where my Grandfather was wounded. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

kind regards,

Yardley

Yardley, this later map shows mary and Albert roads, hope it helps, Peter

Sorry not very clear but 100 kb max posting....roads amrked in red.

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for the map. It is perfect and shows the location of 'Queen Mary Road' [Rue du Ruisseau] and 'Prince Albert Road' [Rue des Berceaux] very clearly. I must admit that they are further North than I expected. The names in parenthesis are the modern day names . Thank you for your considerable help

Kind regards'

Yardley

Yardley,

Sorry.

Dear Mick,

Thank you for your PM.

The location of 'Factory Corner' and 'Cinder Track' had me foxed for a little while but using the reference points it is possible to get some idea of the 6th Brigade frontage on 15th May 1915. Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Yardley

Yardley,

PM sent

Rgds

Mick

Dear Sandie,

Thank you for your very helpful comments and for taking the time to check your own sources. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Colin

Have you tried the Museum of Liverpool? http://www.liverpool...y/citysoldiers/

The museum holds the King's Liverpool Regiment Archives and has maps of the WW1 battles.

I've had a look through Peter Chasseaud's book 'Rat's Alley' Trench Names of the Western Front 1914-18 but Queen Mary Road & Prince Albert Road are not listed as trenches.

• 5 years later...
Guest davetee

I know this is an old post but I only just came across it. My grandfather was wounded around the same time. He was also with the King's Liverpool Regiment.