Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify This Great War Relic:

RAF_Louvert

Greetings All,

Back in January of this year I purchased the following old WWI item, (for the princely sum of 99 cents US), to use as a paperweight on the desk in my library:

what_is_it_01.jpg

I am curious which one of you learned lot will be the first to identify precisely what it is, (and claim bragging rights for being so clever). I already know the item's true identity and purpose, but I wonder just how obvious it is to those in the know. It's a little under 2" in diameter and is solid brass.

Ready...set...GO!

Lou

Ah yes, Daniel. But from what exactly? :)

Lou

As they say in Brooklyn....I got nuttin'.

Over to the experts to bring it into the end zone.

-Daniel

It is the top of a Russian time & percussion fuse. Regret that I can't give a model or pattern number but definitely WW1.

Mike

Yes indeed Mike, a WWI Russian time/percussion fuse top it is. Any idea on the size and type of ordnance it was fitted to?

Lou

It's from a Russian 75mm shell. Very similar to the French version but with a slightly longer case. I had one dated 1917 and the complete fuze was a work of art. Magnificent piece of engineering, totally unlike the later utilitarian commie stuff.

John

It's from a Russian 75mm shell. Very similar to the French version but with a slightly longer case. I had one dated 1917 and the complete fuze was a work of art. Magnificent piece of engineering, totally unlike the later utilitarian commie stuff.

John

Doubtless manufactured by Faberge :whistle:

John

DING DING DING! We have a Winnaaaa! Actually three winners, since John, Mike, and Daniel all contributed to the overall correct answer. And for those who like as much info as they can get, the fuse cap in question came from a 75mm shrapnel round of Russian manufacture and used on the Eastern Front. Here is a very good diagram showing all:

Russian_WWI_Shrapnel_Burst_Diagram.jpg

And here is a another illustration, courtesy of Wikimedia:

USRussianGermanFrenchBritShrapnelShells.jpg

Well done all. Tell 'em what they've won Don!

"Because Daniel, Mike, and John each gave parts to the correct answer, they will each be receiving the satisfaction of knowing just how well-versed they are in WWI armaments, and are also now full members of the 'Smart Fellers' club."

And Centurion, I believe there is a Faberge mark on the side of that fuse...NOT! :D

Cheers!

Lou

Hi,

graduation is from 1 to 24, and the fuse is designed by the French Schneider firm

this type of fuse was also used by the German army

Cnock

Thanks for the additional info Cnock. You're a full member of the 'Smart Fellers' club as well.

Lou

Doubtless manufactured by Faberge :whistle:

Actually if you saw the supurb workmanship of the brass and aluminium rings below that cap you might think so. Probably the highest quality fuze Ive ever seen.

John

Quite right John. It is fine craftsmanship, and even more so when you consider the massive numbers they had to produce.

Lou

Can anyone show a cutaway section of the fuze?

Actually if you saw the supurb workmanship of the brass and aluminium rings below that cap you might think so. Probably the highest quality fuze Ive ever seen.

John

I mase my comment because back in 1967 Punch did a special spoof supplement to mark the 50th anniversary of the failure of the Bolshevik coup. Included was a 'photo' of a Sputnik made in Fabergé's work shops!

However not all pre revolutionary workmanship was up to that level. There was a scandal because the wings of some license built versions of French aircraft tended to fall off in flight. It turned out that one businessman was making extra profit by shorting on some of the ingredients used for the glue.

Can anyone show a cutaway section of the fuze?

Here is the requested cutaway, courtesy of the Passion and Compassion 1914-1918 website:

PlanRusse30s.jpg

Also, here is the link to the Russian fuses section of that wonderful website: Russian WWI Fuses

And Centurion, there were far too many examples during the Great War, (and other wars), of greedy businessmen cutting corners to make an extra buck at the cost of their countrymen's lives. They should have been shot for it, IMHO.

Lou

I mase my comment because back in 1967 Punch did a special spoof supplement to mark the 50th anniversary of the failure of the Bolshevik coup.

The reference is a little obscure for me Centurion. However, believe me when I say these fuzes were supurb. The best quality of any ordnance piece I've seen from the Great War. I do have a photo somewhere. If I can find it I'll put it up.

John

John,

Excellent photos showing the quality of those fuses are also on the website I posted the link to in my last note.

Lou