Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cash In The Attic

trenchtrotter

On now is the above programme. Just valued a DCM and trio 1/4 Leics at £150 to £200. Still to go to auction. Accompanying post cards, and citation.....cap badge and buttons lovingly framed. Will they sell? And for what.

A sad sad thing to watch!

TT

Wellfamily did right thing and kept them. Still such an under valuation does nothing for reputation of programme and makers!

TT

Wellfamily did right thing and kept them. Still such an under valuation does nothing for reputation of programme and makers!

TT

With low production costs and a big largely uncritical audience I suspect they don't give a tinker's f**t for reputation.

Name names. Which valuing Muppet was it today? I can't be bothered to go seeking it on i-Player when I get home.

Mind you, if there had been a Clarice Cliff sugar bowl or a Troika vase, that would have been serious money! :angry2:

I've ranted about this programme on a seperate thread, glad to see the family didn't sell the medals!

Even if we did, do you think they'd listen?

Good day all,

They did listen, and to be honest I don't think they would have let the medals go.

200404 Sgt. Alexander Parker 1/4th Leicesters, an Anstey man who wore his medals with pride.

For conspicuous gallantry when he assisted to uncharge an enemy mine which he discovered ready for explosion.

AlexanderParkerwithmedals.jpg

Regards. Llew.

In a decent medals auction a group like that would set you back about 18-2000 pounds minimum. More likely 2500-3000 with paperwork, good citation and to a collectable unit once a dealer got a hold of it - possible even a grand larger depending on the shop. Keep it in the family is all fine if anyone is interested, if they aren't - and why should they have to be - let it go to whomever or whatever you like. The only detriment here is that they go a false sense of market value and might not possibly be as careful with them as they should be.

To be fair, the 'they' I referred to was the BBC, not the family. It would have been a lucky dealer (doubtless) who would have snapped those up.

The medals are in the possession of Alexander's Great Great Grandaughter, and as pointed out by TT, the medals are now lovingly framed with a cap badge and buttons, but are still kept in a drawer within the house. I did say that I thought the set would be worth over £2000, but if the medals belonged to one of my relations, £20000 would not be enough to part with them, but then again we are all different.

Regards. Llew.