Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question on Canadian Tam O'Shanters

geluveld

I recently aquired an 85th Nova Scotia Highlanders Tam O'Shanter.

However, behind the badge, there is no piece of tartan fixed to the cap itself.

Is it possible that in certain units/by individuals there is no tartan backing fixed to the Tam?

If there should be a tartan backing, what would the tartan exactly be for the 85th?

Thanks in advance

Ramses

Is it possible that in certain units/by individuals there is no tartan backing fixed to the Tam?

If there should be a tartan backing, what would the tartan exactly be for the 85th?

Thanks in advance

Ramses

Have you tried this site: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/sgowen/85th.html

You will almost certainly find the answer there.

That link gives this: Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /sgowen/85th.html on this server.

Thanks in advance

Ramses

As far as I can see, the Battalion did not wear a tartan backing http://bdbarry.tripod.com/id103.htm . Antony

There is a well spoken of (by all accounts) "85th Battalion Home Page" maintained by Susan Gowen and it is mentioned by many genealogy and military history sites and even Wikipedia. It seems that I cannot access it via my server (and neither apparently can Piorun), but perhaps you can if your server is different. I have posted the details purely because they have been so well spoken of in so many different forums. Good luck !

Hi,

Private W Ritchie enlisted into the 219th Bn Nova Scotia Highlanders and served in France with the 85th Bn.

No Tartan behind his badge.

regards

John

Service record

post-27843-0-89464900-1302880500.jpg

post-27843-0-93074600-1302880593.jpg

Thanks very much for all the replys.

I do specify that it is not a khaki balmoral (the one with the tails) but a Tam O'Shanter bonnet.

I have been looking on the internet as well, and seemingly the 85th didn't use any tartan behind their badge.

So I will leave the cap as I got it (which was the intention, just wanted to know if it was possible that the cap didn't got tartan behind the badge).

As soon as my camera is working again (battery's dead, and off course none in the house) I will put a picture on forum to show the tam with the badge.

Cheers

Ramses