The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SS Headlands - Richard Walker

ss002d6252

I'm trying to find some info in respect of the SS Headlands. The ship was sunk on March 12 1915 by U29 and the crew safely landed in the Scilly Islands.

My great grandfather Richard Walker served as an engineer on this ship pre war (until abt 1912 - we have his seamans book). I cannot find any WW1 records for him (not suprising with a name like his) bit its possible he went back to the ship. I have tried and failed to find a crew list for 1915 - does anyone have any ideas ?

ss

You will be fortunate to see any confirmation of GGFs presence on the HEADLANDS. My local Maritime records archives (Southampton) has a good collection of seaman's cards from later in WW1,but nothing for this early. I have read that the Univ of Newfoundland took some of our Mercantile crew records,but not a complete record.You might like to see what they have.

As the vessel is likely to be a cargo ship it won't have anything in BT26 at Kew,which tends to show passenger lists and not crew by name.

Sotonmate

Occasionally one finds crew lists amongst papers relating to the loss of merchant ships. You might be lucky to find such a list in the National Archives. The reference I think might be helpful is under ADM131/113 - 'March 1915-December 1916. List of British merchant vessels attacked by enemy submarines. Reports of actions and sinkings.' Even if there is no crew list you should find an account of exactly what happened to the ship.

Dave W

ss/ws

If you google the ship and Scilly you will see about about the day.It was going to the assistance of "Indian Prince" and ran into the attack plot and was torpedoed,after refusing to heave-to.

Sotonmate