Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2/Lt Edmund Brownsworth - 1st Leicesters

tats500

I am researching the service career of 2/Lt Edmund Brownsworth, 1st Leicesters. He went to France in November 1914 as a sergeant and was commissioned in the field for distinguished service. He apparently had many narrow escapes in the Ypres salient as a bombing leader. He was mortally wounded while attached to a school of instruction by a mine explosion and died on May 29th 1915 in the 10th Casualty Clearing Hospital at Abeele. Any information on his service in France/Belgium, and how he was fatally wounded gratefully received.

I can check the battalion diary for any information on him later today, if you haven't already done so?

Do you know his original service number with the Leicesters?

Regards. Llew.

Thanks that would be very kind. I haven't seen a copy of the war diary. The name given on his medal record card is Edward although everywhere else he is referred to as Edmund. His original service number is 8639.

There's nothing showing in the battalion history which I have in my work bag for some reason!!

Working from his service number, he would have enlisted in Feb 1909 and I'm assuming the November date of entry would have been the 12th?

Diary information to follow later.

Regards. Llew.

There's nothing showing in the battalion history which I have in my work bag for some reason!!

Working from his service number, he would have enlisted in Feb 1909 and I'm assuming the November date of entry would have been the 12th?

Diary information to follow later.

Regards. Llew.

He's a L/Cpl in 1911.

Edmund Arthur Brownsworth (b1891 Skipton, Yorks)

1st Bn Leicestershire Regiment.

Talavera Barracks.

Wellington Lines.

Aldershot.

Hello Dave,

After checking the 1st Battalion diary for Edmund I was starting to get rather confused, but after finding him on Offices Died in the Great War, things fell into place.

2nd Lieutenant Edmund Arthur Brownsworth 1st Battalion Leicestershire Regiment died of wounds on the 27th May 1916, not 1915 as per your original post.

He does get mentioned in the battalion diary as being a serving officer of the 1st Battalion and first appears on the 1st September 1915. This continues on the 1st of each month up until April 1916, the 1st April entry lists Edmund as Bombing & Intelligence Office. The battalion report for April 1916 states that he was reported sick on the 18th April and lists him as being Instructor 6th Division Bomb School. His only other mention is on the 16th March 1916 and is as follows,

16/3/16

Some shelling of B 10 and B 9 from 9.00am by 5.9 Howitzersfrom north (thus enfilading the left of B 10).

From 12.30 to 3.30pm very intensive bombardment by same 5.9Howitzer Battery, 2 Batteries 4.2. Howitzers and at least 2 Batteries of FieldGuns. B 10 very badly damaged, the northern 100 yards of trench beingcompletely destroyed, luckily it was only held weakly. Casualties 8 killed, 30wounded. Enemy continued to shell ST. JEAN – WIELTJE and all night up to about 3.00am. Verygreat difficulty was experienced in moving the wounded. Large working partieswere sent up to B 10 to repair damage.—1 platoon from S 8 A, 40 SUFFOLK’S, 20SHERWOOD’S -?-. WIELTJE heavily shelled at intervals throughout night 16/3/16.A dummy soldier was put out near ARGYLE FARM by Capt. SMITH RN. and LtBROWNSWORTH (Bomb Officer) a torpedo was attached but no German patrols camenear it. 6 standing patrols were put out in front of B 9 & B 10 during thewhole night in case enemy attempted a minor enterprise.

Regards. Llew.

Dave,

If you PM your e mail address I'll gladly send the part transcribed diary entries to you.

Llew.

Thanks very much Llew for your help in checking the war diary and transcribing the text. Certainly an interesting reference and adds some more flesh to his story. Sorry about the 1915 date, that was a typo on my part.

Best Regards

Dave

Not a problem Dave. I think the transcribed diary will help you further, so don't forget to pm your e mail address.

Llew.

I am researching the service career of 2/Lt Edmund Brownsworth, 1st Leicesters. He went to France in November 1914 as a sergeant and was commissioned in the field for distinguished service. He apparently had many narrow escapes in the Ypres salient as a bombing leader. He was mortally wounded while attached to a school of instruction by a mine explosion and died on May 29th 1915 in the 10th Casualty Clearing Hospital at Abeele. Any information on his service in France/Belgium, and how he was fatally wounded gratefully received.

Hi Dave,

If you need a photo of Brownsworth, please let me know.

Robert

Hi Robert

Thanks for the offer of a photo. I have a head and shoulders profile shot but if you have anything else I would be grateful to receive it.

Many Thanks

Dave