Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Corps Infantry

john gregory

With the MGC Infantry was the letter "I" worn above the MGC shoulder title or under and was there a regulation stating how they should be fitted or was it up to the soldiers preferrence. Do any members have a photo showing which way. Regards JG

John,

The Army order introducing the titles specifies that the extra letters were to be worn below the MGC title. GRO 2291 of 7th May 1917, stated that:

post-7141-0-97023100-1302612120.jpg

Note the comment about the lack of supply of the seperate letters. I understand that this remained the situation for some time. Some units did not adopt them at all. If a man was already wearing the standard 'MGC' titles then moving them would leave two extra holes in the shoulder strap caused by placing the letter correctly underneath. Easy to see why some would have taken the neater, if non regulation, way of doing this. No doubt in some units they were instructed to do it the 'inverted' way in order to avoid unsightly extra holes!

I have had two original tunics, one MGC Cavalry Branch (sold on a well known auction site recently you may recall!) and a Machine Gun Corps Infantry Jacket, both very original and untouched, and both incorrectly mounted. I'm sure there were many examples of this being done.

Also in passing note the comment 'Other personnel of the Machine Gun Corps will not wear collar badges' Hmmm, didn't stop 100th Machine Gun Company, later part of 33rd Battalion MGC, wearing them!

Regards

Tocemma

second half of image!

post-7141-0-59871200-1302612221.jpg

Thanks for the info Paul, I expect that you noticed that I had bid on the jacket and was outbid again. I was/should have bid more until my wife said she had withdrew some cash out of my WW1 account !!! needless to say the bank book is now hidden away. John