Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book Bargains - Forum Alert ?

ianw

We all trawl the discount book shops for WW1 bargains and I note that "The First day on the Somme" has been reported as on sale for £2.99 at a certain chain. Should we have a little section on the forum to pass this info. on ?

good idea....

just for the record, anyone who missed like me taping the Great war again!.. BBC cost for 7 DVDs is £100, Tesco has the same for £90... VHS version is cheaper...

We all trawl the discount book shops for WW1 bargains....Should we have a little section on the forum to pass this info. on ?

I'll go for that. I know that The Works (a discount bookshop in MK) has some WWI related books in at cut price. I'll check what they have and their prices later this week.

There are always good military bargains to be had at 'The Works' - my local one is in Worthing. They also have 'The First Day on the Somme' at £2.99 this week - [tempting to buy again at that price,although I already have a copy!], and I have bought several more recently - Christopher Moore's 'Trench Fever' for £1.99, and 'The Imperial War Museum Book of the First World War' - I think I paid £9.99 instead of the cover price of £25. It goes in phases there, but always cheap.

Regards - Sue

They might still be available in some chains, but I bought most of the "VC's of World War One" series from "the Works" for £6 each.They also had a good selection of the Osprey "Men at Arms" and "Campaign" series for £1.99 and £2.99 respectively.

Dave.

Is it right that the "The Works" is North and Midlands based ? Down South we have "Sussex Stationers" who have similar deals . I bought several of the IWM books there and also "Somme- Day by Day " My local Oxfam provided a mint "P'Dale- Day by Day" for a fiver !

Ian - The Sussex Stationers are very similier to The Works, I wouldn't be suprised if they are one and the same. And you're right, Oxfam and the like are great places to look.

Well, we have a 'Works' outlet here in SE London, and I've been in one in Lincoln. Osprey Men at Arms? Virtually never seen remaindered!! (Because they aggressively take them out of print to preserve 'value').

The 'revised edition' of Malcolm Brown's "Imperial War Museum Book of the Western Front" now in the remaindered trade at £4.

Watch out for paperback copies of Dunn's 'The War The Infantry Knew' which I've seen in London and here in Gloucestershire for an excellent £3.99.

Simon

I was in Foley's book warehouse at the weekend in Bingham, near Nottingham (signposted off the A46 every 2nd weekend). This used to be rather chaotic, and one just had to wander around looking at randomly placed books, occasionally finding a Pen & Sword or other treasure, usually amazingly cheaply.

They've recently started to organise properly and now have a military section. Nothing Western Frontish on Saturday, but lots of WW2, especially Eastern Front and, inevitably, Hitler. Well worth a visit, if you're in the area.

PS Just realised they had a pile of 'World War One Data Book' by John Ellis & Michael Cox. Haven't dipped into it yet but it seems to have a LOT of data.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a reprinted version of “First Day on the Somme” in hard back at the Ulster Tower Monument for 23.00 Euros. They also have reprinted trade paperback editions for around 14.00 Euros, I believe.

Another good bargain I was happy to get that same day was a used copy, in hard back, of Lynn McDonald’s "Somme" at Delville Wood's gift shop for 15.00 Euros. I know this one was just a lucky find but it goes to show that you never know what lives around the next bin.

Jon