Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map mystery

gerd.deboeck

IWM Map M5/239 is a MESSAGE MAP Polygon Wood, Becelaere - Sheet 28 NE 3 [parts of] Edition 22 Trenches corrected to 16/10/1917and has attack detail annotated. Looking at the Bn and Div boundaries and placement of the Coys before and after the battle I think it's from the battle dated October 9th. That morning the 2nd HAC and 2nd Bn Royal Warwickshires (22brigade, 7th Div attacked the Hamlet of Reutel near Zonnebeke. Five days before the 21st brigade failed to capture their objectives and now it was the 22th's turn to try. As the HAC succeeded in capturing Reutel and the objectives where reached I don't think there was a third battle at Reutel. But the map has German trenches corrected to October 16, a week after the attack? How can this be? Is this a sort of "report" from the battle drawn up long after the attack?

Hope somebody will be able to clarify.

post-61729-0-52272100-1302547846.jpg

Is this a sort of "report" from the battle drawn up long after the attack?

It's unbelievably neat and detailed for a message map that would have been used on the spot (and I presume that the rear hasn't been filled in?).

I'd say therefore that (especially considering the trench dating) it's almost certainly from a post-action report just used for illustration/descriptive purposes.

dave

(and I presume that the rear hasn't been filled in?).

You are right about the rear, it hasn't been filled in. So this is probably the detailed report from October 9th, which is an incredible find for me since I'm researching this attack.

Thanks for the help.

Gerd

• 2 years later...

I have my Grandfather's trench map from the 9th of October, if you would like a copy. He was wounded trying to capture a German Machine Gun post at "Jolting Houses", which is shown on his trench map where a farmhouse has since been built on the site, which I have pictures of and the shells they stockpile that they unearth from time to time. He had to hide in a water filled shell hole from morning to night as he said neither side were allowed to take wounded prisoners, and managed to get back to his line at night. He was then evacuated to the hospital at Brighton, where he made a full recovery. My grandfather (Albert Charles King)was in the HAC (6860). ou can also contact me at analyserking@yahoo.co.uk