Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John Thompson R.M.LI.

W.J.Caughey

Hi Everyone, this soldier John Thompson Royal Marine Light Infantry

is Remembered with honour on The BROOKWOOD (UNITED KINGDOM 1914-18) MEMORIAL.

I have a newspaper notice saying which graveyard he is buried, in a very old grave yard, the records in this graveyard dont

seem to be availble or non exist, just a book and his name is not in it. my question without a grave marker will the newspaper article be enough

proof for CWGC or MOD or do i need Burial records. will be glad of any advice.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=75197001

John Thompson

Service Branch: Royal Marine Light Infantry

Unit: 2nd Royal Marine Bn.

Death Date: 18 Nov 1918

Cause of Death: Died after Discharge (Invalided) at Home address: 31 Pernam St., Belfast, from Pulmonary Tuberculosis

(6 months) & Cardiac Failure.

Burial: Brookwood (UK 1914-18) Memorial.

Service History: Enlisted Belfast 26/11/1912 ; 1914-15 Cameroon Expedition (HMS "Cumberland" 19/5/14-4/12/14,

HMS "Challenger" 5/12/14-30/4/15, HMS "Astraea" 1/5/15-16/6/15) ; Embarked RM Brigade 24/10/15-12/7/18

(joined Bn. at Cape Helles 22/11/15) ; 2nd RM Bn. 22/11/15-28/1/16 Septic Dermatitis Face, rejoined 2nd RM Bn. at

Stavros 10/3/16-29/3/16 Flat Foot slight, joined Base Depot Mudros 13/5/16, joined 8th Entrenching Bn. 13/9/16,

rejoined 2nd RM Bn. 27/11/16-8/4/17 to XIII Corps Training Depot for Instructional Duties, rejoined 2nd RM Bn.

23/4/17-28/4/17 Missing, POW wounded (Shrapnel wound right thigh & BW right forearm) ; Repatriated to UK 16/4/18 &

Discharged Invalided 23/7/18 at Haulbowline Hospital, Queenstown, Ireland for "Pulmonary Tuberculosis" &

issued Silver War Badge No.RN23973.

Service Number: PLY/15927

Notes: Notified as accepted for commemoration by CWGC in Jan. 2005 ; ADM/171 = St.V.B. issued to Father,

IC/3371/1919 ; A Carpenter ; b.Belfast, Antrim 3/6/1895 ; Parents, William & Jane, 31 Pernam St., off Shankwell Rd.,

Belfast. ; GRO Ireland = December Qr. 1918, age 24, Belfast, Vol.1, page 215, Bachelor, Naval Pensioner,

Informant: Agnes Morton, Cousin, of 31 Pernam St., Belfast.

Just a holding reply for the moment as I will have to deal with this when I get home later.

Will ask a mod to transfer this to the non comm section

CHris

Thanks Chris, thats great.

Kind regards Walter

Hi Walter

For starters what is the name of the graveyard please?

CWGC normally will not accept newspaper evidence as proof of burial. Lets just see what we can find

Chris

Hi Chris, sorry just got internet connection on again, Shankill Graveyard Belfast. Looked at Gravestones inscriptions for Shankill and googled shankill history, in 1964 the Belfast Council turned it into a rest garden and they seem to just go by the headstones.

Anything else you can think of ask away please.

Kind regards Walter

Hi Chris, here is the notice transcribed.

MILITARY FUNERAL IN BELFAST.

The funeral took place to Shankill Graveyard on Thursday of Pte John Thompson R.M.L.I. whose remains were accorded military honours. Deceased was a member of the Sons of Ulster L.O.L. 759 and the Comrades of the great war. He had six years' service and was in the Cameroons at the outbreak of war, serving on H.M.S. Cumberland. He went though with the B.E.F in German West Africa later with the Naval Division in the Dardanelles and in France. He was taken prisoner of war on the 28th April 1917 with the Ulster Division. and was released April 1918.

His father Mr William Robert Thompson was an ex-soldier who joined again at the outbreak of war. The deceaseds four brothers were also serving their King and country, David with the 1st Battalion R.I.R. killed in action and three are still serving-Joshua, in Mesopotamia with the R.E. Robert with the R.Ir.Rif and Albert with the R.Ir.Rif, also a brother-in-law.

Kind regards Walter.

Walter

difficult one; CWGC may regard this as an unmaintainable grave therefore Brookwood may be the correct place for commemoration. I will ask some questions

Chris