Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ross Bayonet.

Rob Bulloch

I have acquired a Ross bayonet and scabbard, it has several markings on the grip the large C and an arrow Canadian mark a crown over 4. 11 over 11/15. Then E. over C.O.T over 125. And on the end 8.6.11 over A. most of the marks have a chiseled line through them, the scabbard has the C arrow and is stamped H.C.CO.LTD. over 1941. Any help deciphering these stamps would be greatly appreciated.

Aye Rob.

Hi Rob

The lining out is the standard means of cancelling.

I would guess that some of the markings are issue and reissue dates (11/15 for example) and others might be units or might be inspection marks without a picture it is tough to guess the size / scale and anyway I am not very familiar with some of the more esoteric Canadian formations! E over C.O.T. sounds like someone should be able to figure out what it is (Corps of Transport?) but I would just be guessing

Is the scabbard black/dark? If so I think it might be (as the date suggests) WWII vintage as issued to home defence forces in Canada. My notes have H C Co Ltd as Hugh Carson Co. Ltd. who supplied them during WWII There was one online dealer who had one of these and noted that the WWII scabbards were quite scarce. I will see if I can find the link.

Chris

Thanks for your post Chris. The scabbard is a very dark brown. I have gave it another look and the C.O.T has another letter at the end which looks like possibly a C which would make it E over C.O.T.C that would be I think Canadian Officers Training College.And would the 125 be the Bn of issue 11th month 1915.?

Aye Rob.

Rob,

COTC = Canadian Officers Training Corps. My understanding it that this was a series of units, located in numerous locations, that trained officers. In peacetime, it was normally associated with universities. The 125 could well be a battalion number.

All the best,

Gary

Thanks for that Gary. I was not sure if it was Corp's or College

Aye Rob.